Jasmine
Am I alone?

Why is it hard to find new friends and language partners between the ages of 18-22? I believe that is the average age group of most university students.. I would love to exchange languages with someone who could teach me Korean, but the people i find are usually way older than me- finding me too young to exchange languages with and tell me to find someone else. I don't mind it sometimes, but at the same time it hurts my feelings a little bit. Personally at 18, I feel a little more comfortable learning from someone who's closer to my age. Is that bad? Am I the only one who feels this way?

Aug 3, 2015 7:19 AM
Comments · 5

People tend to feel more comfortable speaking to someone of a similar age because they will probably have more things in common. There's nothing particularly strange about that.

But reading your post I did notice something that may be a little problematic. Maybe I am reading too much into this but here goes anyway...

I notice you have written 'teach me Korean' instead of 'help me with Korean' or 'exchange languages with me.'

For me personally, if I receive a message from someone who offers to 'teach' me their native language and who wants me to 'teach' them English in return I am instantly put off. I have read various people on this site who feel similarly to me. The reasons being:

1) Teaching someone else is a big responsibility, and if you are going to do it properly it will be a big drain on your time.

2) By no means is every native speaker of a language able to teach it to non-native speakers. Lots of native English speakers don't have any real idea about the grammatical rules of the language (so that we would be able to explain them to a learner), we just pick them up intuitively.

3) And finally, it implies a passive form of learning which doesn't really sit well with me.

To me, the point of a free language exchange is to practise the things that I have studied myself, to learn and practise new vocabulary and to clarify any things that I have problems with vis a vis tense usage, how to phrase a certain thing etc. I don't want to teach a language partner, and I don't expect them to teach me either. If I wanted someone to teach me, I would pay someone to do so.

Maybe you are right, and it is just the age thing. But if you are writing to Korean speakers and using the word 'teach' do not forget this is a big responsibility and commitment for both parties, and something that many people are not looking for.

August 3, 2015

This may be because university students and students of that age group are so busy studying (not necessarily Language) and do not have the time. Older people are more settled in their chosen careers and are learning another language because they want to, not because they have to and have more time and patience to teach others. 

I myself am a bit older (32), and now have the time to learn another language.

People do not just learn languages because they have to for university. They learn languages because they want to challenge themselves and for older people in their chosen profession, this is one way they can challenge themselves. 

I feel as though I want to learn from people of different age groups. You should try and connect with people from all age groups, both young and old, as we can all offer something of great value. It is often through time in our chosen professions, which for me is a business professional, that I have learnt more etiquette in my native language that I learned from school. Young - more social language acceptable in informal settings, and Older - more formal business etiquette. Both are good to learn.

Good luck!

August 3, 2015

What if a 17 or 23 years old person want to speak to you, would you refuse them?!

August 3, 2015

Because the world is a big place, and the internet brings us all together. Every age group from every corner of the earth can easily happen upon this site or any other, all eager to learn just the same. Age has since become less of a boundary of interaction; more of a scale of previous knowledge and experience.

August 3, 2015

You are right, but I never said I wanted to learn because of college reasons. I think it would be a new challenge for me, especially since i have relatives who also speak different languages. I have had bad experiences finding people before, but your constructive and kind comment is something truly worth considering for future experience. Thank you so much Miss Ebony!

August 3, 2015