HKH
Is it really important to learn SWEAR WORDS?

when i take up learning a new language ,the first i learn is always some swear words.

i dont wanna sound impolite and swear anyone else..but i think it is really important to

learn some cuz when you study abroad or watch a movie,youll hear some and if you wanna get it ,then you should learn them first  lol.

and another reason i think is to avoid being impolite.sometimes i discover that many words can swear in some language ,however,they dont sound like swearing in my mother language..so you have to learn them or you may get into trouble...

btw,learning swear words is also can avoid being laughed..for example,if you travel abroad and some foreigners swear you,but you actually dont get it..and you wanna be polite so you just say something like [yes ][thx]etc...what do they think of you?lol

thx for reading my post and can you tell me how to say[Is it a swear word?]in your mother language?thx a lot :D.

Aug 3, 2015 12:23 PM
Comments · 14

I don't swear in my native language, therefore I don't feel the need to learn swearing words in any other language! To be honest, I don't even understand the swearing words in my native language, so anyone could swear at me and I wouldn't get it, these words are not used at my house and in my surrounding.

August 3, 2015

No, to me it is not important at all. Learning swear words and region specific slang is somewhat low down on my list of priorities when it comes to learning a language.

I know from experience that when non-native English speakers try to use swear words in English that they often don't get the usage right and it can sound jarring and inappropriate. I definitely want to avoid doing that in a foreign language.

Using informal language and swearing isn't something you are going to get right in the beginning stages of learning a language. I see your point about maybe wanting to recognise swearing when you hear it, but I think you can do that on a case by case basis. I don't think it's necessary to set out to learn swear words, my time is better spent on other aspects of the language.

August 3, 2015

Learn them if you want.

But don't use them.

They are not necessary.

If you use them, you could harm your reputation.

Follow the excellent advice from the people who have responded to your question.

August 3, 2015

This type of language is extremely hard to get right without being exposed to how native speakers use it naturally. And even then it is still hard.

"Swearing changes greatly from region to region and country to country, so preparing yourself for one thing may be entirely redundant." 

This.

Just using Michael's simple example to illustrate, yes, if you call something 'the (dog's) bollocks' in the UK, it means that something is great.

But omit the article and just say something is 'bollocks' then it means something completely different, that something is a load of nonsense/load of rubbish.

And the word 'bollocks' itself is a slang term for testicles.

August 3, 2015

Extremely pertinent article to this topic: http://www.fluentin3months.com/swear/

Enjoy :)

August 3, 2015
Show more