Mayte
Learning Article : 10 Practical Spanish Slang Expressions

Discuss the Article : 10 Practical Spanish Slang Expressions

<a href='/article/504/10-practical-spanish-slang-expressions' target='_blank'>10 Practical Spanish Slang Expressions</a>

When we learn a new language and mix with the locals, we often come across some strange expressions that leave us wondering: What does THAT mean? In this article, learn about 10 widely used Spanish slang expressions that will help you feel less like an outsider and more like a local.

Aug 4, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 6

I would like to specify that most of these expressions are used widely in Spain, however they are not commoly used in south America.

August 20, 2015

I'm from Colombia and the only phrase that you can use here is the #5. Please don't try to use the rest because are really odd for us. Some examples of slang expressions in my country:

*No fregués = No molestés: Don't kidding me or I don't believe you because you are joking 

*Me fregué: I'm screwed up 

*Vaya volando: Do it very fast

But everything depends of what is the region of the person which you are talking to. We have a very rich language :p ;)

August 4, 2015

Yes this kind of slag is old, i think is Spanish from Spain, In Mexico we do not use this one

August 19, 2015

The English mix is actually a bit more numerous than just the US and the UK. I'm wondering if it's not quite similar or even the same as the Spanish speaking countries if we factor in all the English speaking ones. 

August 16, 2015

In English, we say that the US and the England are "two countries divided by a common language", because sometimes the ways we speak are really different even though it's all English. Same thing with Spanish, except you have many more countries in the mix. I lived in Argentina and Ecuador and worked as a Spanish interpreter where most of my clients were Mexican, and ALL of these were new to me! They might be more common in some Spanish-speaking countries, but I wouldn't say they're "widely spoken". 

August 14, 2015
Show more