Gillian
Typical Interview Questions - conflict

How would you answer common interview questions such as:

Tell me about a team project when you had to work with someone difficult.
Tell me about a time you had a conflict at work.
Give an example of a time you had to respond to an unhappy manager/customer/colleague.

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a co-worker who wasn't doing his/her fair share of the work. What did you do and what was the outcome?

Aug 4, 2015 5:39 PM
Comments · 4

I think I must be the only one nervous about interviews!

August 5, 2015

I don't like getting too many of these questions. I never know why interviewers ask them, unless they are trying to figure out if you "know the rules of the game." 

I think the most helpful single thing I ever did for job interviews was to ask someone to give me a simulated job interview while I made a video recording, so I would see myself.

Rehearsal is helpful--not to the point of a canned answer, but in terms of being slightly prepared. For example, it takes me a few minutes to think of a <em>specific</em> example of one of those situations in which I think I handled things fairly well and had a fairly good outcome. If the reality is good, then I don't have to "spin" the story. 

And now that I've thought about it for ten minutes, OK. I have an example. I had a colleague who was responsible for a software component that had to work across the network from my software component. His component just wasn't reliable. It would work some of the time, but not others. So, I spent a morning and wrote a specialized "torture testing" tool that bombarded his program with the the kind of commands that sometimes failed. Instead of failing once or twice a day, I could get it to fail several times every minute. This tool accomplished two things. It helped show my boss that the problem was real, and that the problem was occuring at his end. But it also gave him a tool he could use to diagnose and fix the problem. He was much happier having a reproducible problem to work on than just having me say "it fails sometimes." He actually thanked me for his help, and the tool became part of the the Software Quality Assurance test suite. 

August 5, 2015

I posted these type of questions as I am going to an interview this afternoon, and these tyoe of questions were asked in my last interview!

August 5, 2015

Thanks very much:)

This is very helpful and it sounds like that would be a great example for employers in this field. It is good to hear about how other people deal with situations :)

August 5, 2015