Antonio Fo
Do You Prefer Extensive or Minimal Corrections to Your Text?

When correcting a text written by an English learner, the person correcting must decide how far to go with the corrections. With blatant grammatical errors, the decision is simple--correct them.  With phrasing that is substandard or just not what a native speaker would write, the decision is less obvious.

When the learner is presented with too many corrections, the exercise becomes less helpful because the impression of all those red marks is overwhelming. So, what I tend to do is to be more aggressive with the most advanced writing and more selective with writing that contains many errors or many phrases that just sound odd to the ear of a native English speaker.

There is also the issue of preferences. Some native speakers have regional or personal preferences and may make some corrections that are not necessary or are different from those that another native speaker would make. To avoid confounding the topic, perhaps this issue is best left for a separate discussion.

What is your preference? Do you prefer to be corrected to the standard of a native speaker, or do you prefer to have your worst errors corrected and to have text that is comprehensible, if not perfect, left alone?

Aug 4, 2015 9:32 PM
Comments · 17

I can't comment on receiving English corrections, but certainly when I correct an entry I take into account the level of the learner.  I always try to distinguish between what is a necessary correction and what is a suggestion (I only write these for more advanced learners).

If someone has made a significant error, especially if they have done so repeatedly, I will give a short explanation and some examples of how it's used in real life. 

Personally, I like having everything corrected in my entries.  I dislike when someone practically rewrites the text in their own way.  On several occasions, a few very kind members who regularly correct my entries have sent me a private message to say, "Don't pay any attention to so-and-so's correction."  I remember once getting a correction in which practically every word had been changed.  It certainly wasn't helpful!  Thankfully, approximately 99% of my received corrections have been very helpful!

August 5, 2015

To the standard of a native speaker. I even myself realize that I say unnatural sentences after watching a movie and reading the translation of the sentences into Spanish. I appreciate when someone tells me "Your sentence is gramatically correct but no one would say that". 

August 5, 2015

I prefer corrections "to the standard of a native speaker".

August 4, 2015

Aegis, You might consider adding a note at the end of your posts, such as "please only correct the worst grammatical errors." I know that I would certainly respect such a request.

Of course, you're a native English speaker so I wouldn't correct your posts. In any case, I think you could politely say your thoughts, even about teachers, and let the chips fall where they may. Just remember to criticize the actions and not the person.

Regarding finding Fee, Fai, and Fum, perhaps they smelled English bood and hid behind Zeus's shield for protection.

August 5, 2015

My two cents. Some people write quite awkward sentences in their Spanish entries. When you google their sentences in brackets, the first result that Google will show you is the entry of the user. I used to change their sentences and  they got mad and write you rude messages (this has been common to me with some British and Russian users who often submit entries onthis site). Also, other Spanish speakers will write you "Why did you change his sentences. They were fine". The Spanish speaking users who do that often submit entries in Spanish (their native language) terribly written and their Spanish spelling tends to be disgusting. All in all, I think it's one's choice how to learn a language. Some people feel okay when saying "I have 25 years". Everybody will understand that they are speaking about their age. Is it the right way to speak? It's your choice. You can always let corrections slide. That's what I do when I receive corrections from non native French speakers who  often add more mistakes to my original entry, because I do some research to find out whether the corrections I receive are accurate or not.

August 5, 2015
Show more