Jocyline
English Speaking Spanish Language Learners

First, I want to say that I am so excited to have found this site! I am currently taking professional lessons from a native Spanish speaker 3x/wk for 60min starting next week.

My question is for those who have been members of Italki for some time. How long has it taken you to move from one level of Spanish speaking to the next? Since I am considered intermediate (working more intensely on grammar, vocabulary and oral comprehension) my goal is to move to a more advanced level by December and fluent by May of next year. Are these goals too lofty? 

PS: I define being fluent as being comfortable and confident in discussing and writing about topics that I frequently discuss naturally in my native language (I.e. The evening news, work, family life, favorite books etc.).

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2015 2:08 AM
Comments · 5

Hey Jocyline,

I started at the end of October 2014. I've been speaking with a professional tutor for 30 minutes three times per week. I had a very basic understanding of spanish from high school (20 years ago), but nothing major.  I went to Spain a month and a half after I began and did ok.  I returned in July of this year and did much better.

So, to answer your question, I felt I "leveled up" every three or four months.  I found a few partners on italki, practiced by texting/chatting when I could and speaking whenever possible.  I have a notebook where I kept all of my notes for lessons and tried to review as much as I could.

Fluency is a weird thing.  I'm by no means fluent (in my opinion), but I can express basic thoughts, feelings, and emotions.  I can speak in future, present, and past tense.  My biggest barrier is vocabulary.  Grammar seemed to come easy with enough exposure but I am often at a lack for the right word and need to pull out my phone to look it up.  Can you become fluent in 9 months, absolutely if you're willing to put in the work.

My advice to you is to find as many friends as you can and practice what you learn.  Each time I visited Spain I learned more and more.. and it was because I was exposed every day, all the time... but listening, comprehending, and speaking a response is not easy and is something that reviewing notes or doing Duolingo cannot prepare you for.

Anyway, espero que esto ayudarte. Tiene que practicar, practicar, practicar.  ¡Buen suerte!

August 5, 2015

Thanks Aaron and Michael for your comments! You both bring up some good food for thought. I'm a very determined person when I set goals...so I'll update in May, 2016 :-)

August 5, 2015

Worst case scenario is that you don't meet all of your goals, but you still learn an enormous amount and improve a great deal. Not a bad bet to make.

The more you learn and improve, the more you see that remains to be learned and improved upon. That is my experience.

August 5, 2015

Thanks for your comment on having an English/ Spanish learner group on italkie.... That is a good idea. Buena idea! Me quiero ser parte de ese grupo... por que yo estoy aprendiendo Espanol... y bienvenido otras personas juntos en este adventura... Yo quiero ayudar otras y recibir ayuda mi mismo.

August 6, 2015

Hi my name is Enrique, i live in México. I want to learn English and if I can help you practice your Spanish, I think we could help each other.My Skype username is enrique93701

August 5, 2015