Idioms, idioms, idioms

What a day! Today my best friend rang me and of course I asked her how her job was going. It wasn’t all right. I realized that I’ve put my foot in it. What an awkward situation! Certainly I offered her a shoulder to cry on. As it often happens to her, her story was partly hair-raising, partly heart-rending, and sometimes it was difficult to keep a straight face listening to her. Happily, she couldn’t see me. But anyway, I wouldn’t dare laugh at her. But I ask myself, why on earth can’t she take it in her stride? Every time before an important meeting she’s butterflies in her stomach and as a result she’s all fingers and thumbs making one mistake after another. Even though her boss turns a blind eye to it, because she works very hard and is a highly effective employee, many of her colleagues turn their nose up at her and often won’t keep a straight face. Fortunately for her, she’s often up to her neck in it, and doesn’t really care. But this time it got on top of her…

Idioms, idioms, idioms

What a day! Today my best friend rang me and, of course, I asked her how her job was going. It wasn’t all right. I realized that I’d put my foot in it. What an awkward situation! Certainly, I offered her a shoulder to cry on. As often happens to her, her story was partly hair-raising, partly heart-rending, and sometimes it was difficult to keep a straight face listening to her. Happily, she couldn’t see me. But anyway, I wouldn’t dare laugh at her. But I ask myself, why on earth can’t she take it in her stride? Every time before an important meeting she has butterflies in her stomach and as a result she’s all fingers and thumbs, making one mistake after another. Even though her boss turns a blind eye to it, because she works very hard and is a highly effective employee, many of her colleagues turn their nose up at her and often won’t keep a straight face. Fortunately for her, she’s often up to her neck in it, and doesn’t really care. But this time it got on top of her…

Spot on, Tati, an accurate use of idioms.