Hey #3

Tjena alla :) Igår, jag såg Batman i biografen. Jag tror att det är ett jättebra film, men jag gillade den andra film lite bättre. Idag, gick jag på en baseballmatch. Det hemmalaget vann! Det var mycket kul. Lyckligtvis, Det inte var mycket varmt. Jag åt några nachos och fryst lemonad. Smarrig!

The difference between tro, tänka, and tycker is a bit confusing. I have a guess about the differences based on what I have seen, but I'm not sure. Would you mind briefly explaining them? Thank you so so much!

Hey #3

Tjena alla :) Igår såg jag Batman bio(grafen). Jag tycker att det är en jättebra film, men jag gillade den andra filmen lite bättre. Idag gick jag på en baseballmatch. Hemmalaget vann! Det var mycket kul. Lyckligtvis var det inte mycket/ varmt. Jag åt några nachos och fryst lemonad. Smarrigt!

----

(Interesting info, but not important: the greeting "tjena" (alt. tjenare, tjäna, tjänare, tja) was commonly used in the 17th century, the original meaning is "servant" tjänare, as in "I'm your humble servant", but today it's rather informal). As you said yourself, you need to work a bit on your word order, otherwise it's very good. Biograf is rather old fashioned, today we usually say bio. And remember that we say "den ... filmen", which is a kind of double definitive (lit. "that the film", since den is definite and equal to "the", and film-en is a second definite). Mycket in "inte mycket varmt" works, but I would say "inte varmt", which means not very warm/hot or not too warm/hot.

As for your question: I can understand if tro, tänka, tycker are confusing verbs. In Swedish they have more distinct meanings than they have in English, and are less bound to context.

1) Tro (att tro, to believe/have faith in) is when you calculate the possibility of something, but you're not really sure: Jag tror att det finns lemonad i kylen=I think/believe there is lemonade in the fridge. Jag tror att det regnar=I think it's raining. Jag tror på Gud=I believe in God. Tro also means faith/belief, which makes it pretty logical; you believe (in) something, but you're not sure or can't prove it.

2) Tänka (att tänka, to think) only refers to the brain activity of thinking. Jag sitter här och tänker=I sit here and think. Jag måste tänka på saken=I have to think about it.

3) Tycker (att tycka, to think/have an opinion about smt) refers to think as is what you think should be done, or what opinion you have about something. Jag tycker att den är ful=I think it's ugly. It's solely based on your subjective opinion/emotion. Jag tycker att vi ska gå till stan=I think we should go to the city centre.

I hope it cleared things up!

More notebook entries written in Swedish