What's better?

While reading something in a foreign language (a fiction book, for example) is it better to translate all unfamiliar words with a dictionary or go on reading trying to guess some of them by the context?

The thing is, when you're trying to translate every single word, that you don't understand, it will take much longer time and efforts. Although it's probably good for your vocabulary. On the other hand, guessing by the context is kind of usefull, because sometimes you don't have enough time to read carefully line by line, you just have to get the whole picture. But you might get it wrong.

I know which one I prefer. But which one, do you think, is better?

What's better?

The thing is, when you're trying to translate every single word,that you don't understand, it will take much more time and efforts. Although it's probably good for your vocabulary. On the other hand, guessing by the context is kind of usefull, because sometimes you don't have enough time to read carefully line by line, you just have to get the whole picture. But you might get it wrong.

- - - - - - - - 

Wow, your English is extremely good!! You use expressions like a native speaker.

As for your question, it's a very good one, and I think maybe it should be some kind of balance between the two styles :)