Sarah
Iranian New Year ;) I am eagerly looking forward to spring. Spring is the first season in Iran. We celebrate 20th of March as the first day of spring, and the beginning of the year in Iranian calendar, like New Year Eve in other countries. We name it ''Norooz or "Nowruz'' which is the Persian new year. The traditional herald of the ''Nowruz or Norooz'' season is a man called Haji Firuz.His face is painted black (black is an ancient Persian symbol of good luck) and wears a red costume. Then he sings and dances through the streets with tambourines and trumpets spreading good cheer and heralds the coming of the New Year. (But these days we have hadly seen Haji Firuz in our streets. It seems he is disappearing in out traditions after the revolution). Also, we do something especial in that day. We have a special table sitting in Norooz which is called ''Haft Sin''. (Haft in Farsi means seven, and sin means the letter "S"). The haft seen table includes seven items all starting with the letter "S" (س). The pictures below show two items in my previous 7-sin: Sabzeh(سبزه)......>Grass which is wheat, barley, mung bean or lentil sprouts growing in a dish, and symbolizing rebirth. Serkeh(سرکه)......> Vinegar which is a symbol of old-age and patience Have a nice time, wherever you are!

Iranian New Year ;)

I am eagerly looking forward to spring. Spring is the first season in Iran. We celebrate 20th of March as the first day of spring, and the beginning of the year in Iranian calendar, like New Year Eve in other countries. We name it ''Norooz or "Nowruz'' which is the Persian new year. The traditional herald of the ''Nowruz or Norooz'' season is a man called Haji Firuz.His face is painted black (black is an ancient Persian symbol of good luck) and wears a red costume. Then he sings and dances through the streets with tambourines and trumpets spreading good cheer and heralds the coming of the New Year. (But these days we have hadly seen Haji Firuz in our streets. It seems he is disappearing in out traditions after the revolution). Also, we do something especial in that day. We have a special table sitting in Norooz which is called ''Haft Sin''. (Haft in Farsi means seven, and sin means the letter "S"). The haft seen table includes seven items all starting with the letter "S" (س).

The pictures below show two items in my previous 7-sin:

Sabzeh(سبزه)......>Grass which is wheat, barley, mung bean or lentil sprouts growing in a dish, and symbolizing rebirth.

Serkeh(سرکه)......> Vinegar which is a symbol of old-age and patience

Have a nice time, wherever you are!!

Iranian New Year ;)

I am eagerly looking forward to spring. Spring is the first season in Iran. We celebrate 20th of March as the first day of spring, as well as the beginning of the year in Iranian calendar, like New Year Eve in other countries. We name it ''Norooz or "Nowruz'', which is the Persian new year. The traditional herald of the ''Nowruz or Norooz'' season is a man called Haji Firuz. His face is painted black (black is an ancient Persian symbol of good luck) and wears a red costume. Then he sings and dances through the streets with tambourines and trumpets spreading good cheer and heralds the coming of the New Year. (However, these days we have hadly seen Haji Firuz in our streets. It seems he is disappearing in out traditions after the revolution). Also, we do something especial in that day. We have a special table sitting in Norooz which is called ''Haft Sin''. (Haft in Farsi means seven, and sin means the letter "S"). The haft seen table includes seven items all starting with the letter "S" (س).

Have a nice time, wherever you are!

<em>[Excellent work and very informative.]</em>

Thanks Elisa for your comment. :) I love sharing Iranian customs and traditions with others.
The small screen of my laptop let me peep in the vastness and variety of word. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing this nice glimpse of Iranian life :)))
a,