Happy Lunar New Year To All

There is nothing over here where I am living, any semblance of the Lunar festivities that one normally finds in areas of large Chinese population. It is just another ordinary day. The only indication of such activity is my clean computer desk at work which I had been clearing the day before. Everyone was surprised. The rate of things thrown out made my colleagues and underlings think that I was clearing out of the company!

However, in my home, things are different as I am throwing a huge party for friends tomorrow for the occassion. This means that today, I had taken the day off to clean house and put on the decorations. Now taking a break, I wish all my friends here at italki, a festive season and may all of them get richer in the coming new year.

Before I sign out for the day, this was on my Facebook page from a student.

Best quote of the day: "The amount of snow fall is like my mother's nagging. Constant and never ending."

My reply:

"The amount of snow fall is like thwarting the words of a beloved mother. Constant and never ending. 母語即無語, 無語即無雨, 即無水!"

For non-Cantonese, there is the triple pun on 母語 (mother's words), 無語 (no words) and 無雨 (no rain). All are pronounced the same. Hence the translation is "Mother's words = no words (not listening). No words = no rain = no water (no money, Cantonese slang).

Happy CNY to all.

Happy Lunar New Year To All

There is nothing over here where I am living that bears any semblance of the Lunar festivities that one normally finds in areas of large Chinese population. It is just another ordinary day. The only indication of such activity is my clean computer desk at work, which I had been clearing the day before. Everyone was surprised. The rate of things thrown out made my colleagues and underlings think that I was clearing out of the company!

However, in my home, things are different, as I am throwing a huge party for friends tomorrow for the occassion. This means that today, I have taken the day off to clean house and put on the decorations. Now taking a break, I wish all my friends here at italki, a festive season and may all of them get richer in the coming new year.

My reply:

Happy CNY to all.

[Excellent work.  新年快乐!]