First notebook entry: Introducing myself

I'm learning English, because I love the language and the United States - as far as I know it ;-)

I want to understand the people and the culture. Also, I want to watch and understand movies with the native language. So the slang and phrases are the big issue here :-)

My native language is German and I grew up in Hannover (State: Niedersachsen), Germany.

I'm learning English, because I love the language and the United States - as far as I know it ;-) (at least what I know of it - sounds a bit more natural)

I want to understand the people and the culture. Also, I want to watch and understand movies with the native language  in their original language. So the slang and (perhaps you want to say common phrases) phrases are the big issues here :-)

I'm learning English, because I love the language and the United States - at least as far as I know it ;-)

I want to understand the people and the culture. I also want to watch and understand movies in their native language, so the slang and phrases are the big issues here :-)

My native language is German, and I grew up in Hannover (State: Niedersachsen), Germany.

________

Hello, and welcome to italki! First and foremost, let me say that these corrections I made are mostly minor and optional. What you wrote is perfectly within the bounds of correctness; I simply edited them to take into account slightly more "proper" American English conventions. The only correction I made that I think you should really pay attention to is the change from "with" to "in". In this particular phrase ("in their native language"), "in" has a bit of an idiomatic usage; "with their native language" simply sounds weird, even though it surely seems to you as though that's the correct preposition to use.

So in fewer words, you're doing quite well! Unless it took you ten minutes and a dictionary to constvruct this note, I'd say that you're doing quite well.

Secondly, I'd be quite willing to do some language exchanges with you.

Lastly, if any of this response is confusing, I'll try to rewrite it in German for you. Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut wie mein Englisch, aber ich kann es erforderlichenfalls versuchen. (Ich hoffe, dass das Satz richtig war!).