Sopiie's Revenge Starring Zhang Ziyi: Movie Review

Just saw “Sophie’s Revenge” (非常完美) a few minutes ago and I thoroughly enjoyed the first comedy film of Zhang Ziyi (章子怡) that I have seen so far.

Yes, you got that right, Zhang Ziyi the dramatic actress who appeared in critically acclaimed serious films like “The Road Home”, “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”, “House of Flying Daggers” and “Memoirs of a Geisha”, etc. has produced and starred in a movie that is in the same league as wacky American movies like “There’s Something About Mary”, the hyper-imaginative French flick “Amelie” and dare I say the Korean mushy pop films like “Sassy Girl”.

“Sophie’s Revenge” a Chinese-Korean Production that features notable Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean actors.

Most of the movie deals with the unexpected twists and turns of Sophie’s attempt to wreak vengeance on the guy that dumped him but beneath this shallow exterior of the film lurks a melodrama that is standard fare in Korean soap operas.

For learners of Mandarin, this is a good movie to watch to keep abreast with contemporary Chinese. Better if you have a pause button since there are portions in the movie where the characters talk rather fast so I freezed several clips just to properly read the Chinese character subtitles.

The movie is in Mandarin with English and Simplified Chinese subtitles. Check it out!