A Visit to Sunny Home

I applied for a volunteer job in our university at the beginning of the semester and they replied to me with an offer pretty soon. Then, I regreted.

A full awareness of their situation dawned on me that things were not as easy as I thought. They are a group of big children - their ages vary from 33 to 60 but in the depths of their heart, they remain 3 to 12. My task was, as the name of our program "Sunny Home" suggested, to bring joy and optimism like a ray of sunshine into their lives. I seriously doubted whether I could handle the work.

Our first visit was scheduled on Friday. So that day, I wore a red T-shirt with a cheerful Mario on it, for I had seen their uniforms from some pictures. "Similar clothes may help me to associate with them better", I thought. It proved to be right later. As our bus veering off the road onto a rocky path, a low building turned up bluntly in our sight.

There we were. An officer showed us around and made a brief introduction of the training centre. The students' families send them here during the day where they are taken care of and they can learn some basic living skills, if any. The centre is funded mainly by the government and partly from sympathetic persons and bodies, thus it's tuition-free.

After signing some papers of commitment, we were led to a classroom where our students were waiting in suspicious silence. I looked around, searching for any monitoring eyes laid on them. Then I saw a chubby lady standing outside a window, givng them the most strict glance from time to time. I walked straight to the window and drew the curtains. She gave me the last look as if to say, "You don't know what you have done. You just opened the Pandora's box... "

She was right. I kind of pressed a button of a heater and the water soon began boiling. We seemed to be invisible for them. There can't be a even more awkward moment in my life than being rejected everytime I proposed to play a certain game. So, my plan A to zet had all ended in failure and I yelled, "What do you want?"

"I want to play outside, can I?" Proposed a man. "Yeah, me too!" They all agreed. "No, things will be way out of control..." They all dashed out and pushed their way downstairs to the playground before I said anything. We had no choice but followed them.

(To be continued in correction box.)

[Your writing is so so good, but maybe too sophisticated, i.e. maybe you are over-doing it (画蛇添足). As an native English speaker, I can understand it, but it doesn't feel 。... natural, so my advice for improvement would be to just do more reading of English articles. Here I give you how I would write it.]

A Visit to Sunny Home

At the beginning of the semester, I applied to work as a volunteer through our university, and shortly afterwards they came back to me with an offer. Then, I started to consider what I had let myself in for.

It slowly dawned on me that this was not going to be as easy as first thought. This large group of people were all aged between 33 and 60, but their mental ages were more like between 3 and 12. As "Sunny Home", the name of the program, suggests, my task was to bring joy and optimism into these peoples' lives. I had serious doubts as to whether I would be able to handle this work.

Our first visit was scheduled for Friday. Having seen some photos of the clothes that other volunteers had worn, I wore a bright red T-shirt with a cheerful Mario image on it, hoping that wearing this would help me to better associate with them. As our bus veered of the rocky road, a low-rise building came into sight.

[Also, a few small corrections:

"Pandora's box" - this is not really an appropriate place to use it because you didn't really open or reveal anything; better to say "you don't know what you've let yourself in for" or "you've just signed your life away".

" ... before I said anything. We had no choice but followed them." - should be "... before I could say anything. We had no choice but to follow them." These are set phrases that need to be correct.

"Sunny Home got talents" - sounds better to say "Sunny Home's got talent", like the TV show, a set phrase

"I was not complimenting him" - yes you were complimenting him, but you were not saying insincere compliments.

]

(To be continued in correction box.)

A Visit to Sunny Home

They were scattered everywhere on the playground, chatting, chasing, singing in groups. A woman among them walked out of her room with a piece of white cloth in her hand. "Cross stitch?" I was surprised. "Ah, you know this! Yes! I've done a lot! Come and look!" She crabbed my hand and took me to her room, a tiny but not so tidy space dotted with her works. Those were masterpieces I would say. "Cats playing balls of fur, flowers, babies, Chinese characters..." She picked up the pieces from the ground and introduced each of them to me proudly. I called my teammates to come and appreciate her talent. Another woman who was quite small in stature chuckled aside with subtle jealousy, "She is really good at it... You've got a lot of money by doing that, didn't you?" "Oh, Sunny Home got talents! Is there anyone else who also wants to show his or her talent?" A boy of us cheered.

"Me! I have something to show you... I like drawing pictures and calligraphy. Here are my works." He placed a roll of papers on my hands. "OK, let's have a look...WOW!" I was not complimenting him. He really amazed all of us. He was born to be an artist. As I saw, he possessed the proper amount of the esssence of Picasso's understanding about art, while not too much to understand. My favorite one was a picture of two snakes with bright red background. "The Legend of the Fairy White Snake?" "Exactly!" He exclaimed. "You're brilliant! Could I keep this one?" I asked, imagining how my family would prosper due to my wise request today. "Sure! Oh you likes it, haha! Let me show you more..."

That's how the afternoon went. In the late-afternoon sun, we sat on the playground together, sharing the joy they took from another world that our minds, full of calculations and mundane affairs, could never have but admire. We are all incapable of something. They are simply capable of maintaining happiness, which for us is the most profound and elusive subject.