the Countdown to Nowruz (Iranian New Year)

Less than 20 hours left until Nowruz (Iranian New Year). I set the Haft-sin table in my room, and I'm waiting for the new year. Haft-sin table setting includes seven items all starting with the letter "s" (Haft in Farsi means seven and Sin"س" is the letter "s"). We put colored eggs, mirror, candles, and goldfish in Haft-sin table as well. Each item on the table refers to the seven Zoroastrian immortals that guarded the sky, waters, earth, fire, plants, animals, and humans in ancient Iran.

Grass (Sabzeh: سبزه) is a symbol of rebirth.
Apple (Sib: سیب) is a symbol of beauty and health.

Garlic (Sir: سیر) symbolizes medicine.
Samanu (سمنو) is a sweet pudding made from wheat germ. It is a symbol of affluence.

Somaq (سماق) is Somaq fruits, and symbolizes (the color of) sunrise.
Senjed (سنجد) is a dried Oleaster fruit and a symbol of love.

Vinegar (Serkeh: سرکه) symbolizes old-age and patience.

On the table a mirror is placed for the reflection of life, lit candles are placed in front of mirror and they are a symbol of fire. Colored eggs are a symbol of fertility (Sometimes one for each member of the family). A bowl of water with goldfish means life within life, and the sign of Pisces which the sun is leaving (or to mark the the passage from Pisces to Aries).

I took a photo from the grass I grew this year. I'll post the picture of my Haft-sin table another time.

Happy new year to all! Have a happy, prosperous, and healthy year filled with successful, wealth, and unexpecting blessings.

Less than 20 hours left until Nowruz (Iranian New Year). I set the Haft-sin table in my room, and I'm awaiting the new year.waiting for the new year. The Haft-sin table setting includes seven items all starting with the letter "s" (Haft in Farsi means seven and Sin"س" is the letter "s"). We put colored eggs, mirrors, candles, and goldfish in on the Haft-sin table as well. Each item on the table refers to the seven Zoroastrian immortals that guarded the sky, waters, earth, fire, plants, animals, and humans in ancient Iran.

Garlic (Sir: سیر) symbolizes medicine.

On the table, a mirror is placed for the reflection of life. LITlit candles are placed in front of mirror and they are a symbol of fire. Colored eggs are a symbol of fertility (Sometimes one, for each member of the family). A bowl of water with a goldfish means life within life, and the sign of Pisces, which is where the sun is leaving (or to mark the the passage from Pisces to Aries).

Wow! Incredible story about Iran's New Year. :) Beautifully written :)

On the table a mirror is placed for the reflection of life, lit candles are placed in front of the mirror and they are a symbol of fire.