València en Fallas

These last five days it was fallas here in Valencia, a popular Valencian festivity. I think it'd be interesting to share it on here.

This festivity starts on March 1 and finishes on March 19. Basically, it consists of making artistic monuments by wood, papier mache or other flammable materials and burn them. There are other important elements like falleras and falleros, mascletas and a lot of party of course.

As fallas are made of cardboard, they cannot be wet, so they're planted on March 16 and can be seen until March 19 (it never rains in these days). Each falla represents a topic, normally about policy or current topics, but they can represent anything.

Falleros and falleras are the people who pay the fallas. They usually have a place to have parties and meetings. Traditionally they have to have two fallas, a major and a minor, and each one is represented by two falleras, the major and the minor as well. These falleras are very important because every year they "pardon" a "ninot" of their fallas. A ninot is a character of the falla, like an animal or a person. In Valencian the ninot that is not burnt is known as "ninot indultat" and the fallera usually brings it to her home to keep it like a memory.

Another important element of fallas is the firecracker. Every Valencian child goes out and hangs out with his friends to throw firecrackers. When I was a kid I was crazy with them, but now I don't bother them because when I go out I cannot even walk with all the annoying noises and all the firecrackers bursting around. Now I prefer to go to party with my friends in Valencia.

The mascletà consists of a bunch of firecrackers and pyrotechnic stuff thrown "in order" and lasts between five and six minutes. It starts slowly, with rockets, then firecrackers start to burst, and finally the last part consists of an earthquake of firecrackers and rockets.
Check this example out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxXm-qkTgtI

To finish this entry, I’m going to talk about the last day (March 19), known as “el dia de la cremà”. In this day hundred of fallas are burnt in Valencia at night. Minor fallas are burnt at 21:00 and the major ones at 00:30 or later.
In the first place, a firework is thrown and then the falla, which has been surrounded with a bunch of firecrackers, is turned on.
The town hall falla is kind of special because it’s broadcast on TV and it has great firework, which plays with coloured lights.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bj09L7R94

València en Fallas

These last five days it was For the last five we have been celebrating fallas here in Valencia, a popular Valencian festivity. I think [I thought] it'd be interesting to share it on here.

This festivity starts on March 1 and finishes on March 19. Basically, it consists of making artistic monuments by (with, of, from) wood, papier mache or other flammable materials and burning them. There are other important elements like falleras and falleros, mascletas and a lot of partying of course.

As fallas are made of cardboard, they cannot be wet, so they're planted on March 16 and can be seen until March 19 (it never rains in these days). Each falla represents a topic, normally about policy[politics] or current topics[events], but they can represent anything.

Falleros and falleras are the people who pay(correct verb?- play?) the fallas. They usually have a place to have parties and meetings. Traditionally they have to have two fallas, a major and a minor, and each one is represented by two falleras, the major and the minor as well. These falleras are very important because every year they "pardon" a "ninot" of their fallas. A ninot is a character of the falla, like an animal or a person. In Valencian the ninot that is not burnt is known as "ninot indultat" and the fallera usually brings it to her home to keep it like as a memory[memento, souvenir].

Another important element of fallas is the firecracker are firecrackers. Every Valencian child goes out and hangs out with his friends to throw firecrackers. When I was a kid I was crazy with them, but now I don't bother with them because when I go out I cannot even walk with all the annoying noises and all the firecrackers bursting around (correct grammar, but a run-on sentence). Now I prefer to go to party with my friends in Valencia.

The mascletà consists of a bunch of firecrackers and pyrotechnic stuff thrown "in order" and lasts between five and six minutes. It starts slowly, with rockets[fireworks], then firecrackers start to burst, and finally the last part consists of an earthquake of firecrackers and rockets.

To finish this entry, I’m going to talk about the last day (March 19), known as “el dia de la cremà”. In On this day hundreds of fallas are burnt[burned] in Valencia at night. Minor fallas are burnt [burned] at 21:00 and the major ones at 00:30 or later.
    In the first place First, a firework (fireworks?) is thrown on and then the falla, which has been surrounded with a bunch of firecrackers, is turned on lit.
    The town hall falla is kind of special because it’s broadcasted on TV and it has great fireworks, which plays with coloured lights (which explode with colourful lights).

València en Fallas

These last five days For the past five days, it was fallas here in Valencia, a popular Valencian festivity. I think it'd be interesting to share it on here.

This festivity starts on March 1 and finishes on March 19. Basically, it consists of making artistic monuments by from wood, papier mache or other flammable materials and burning them. There are other important elements like falleras and falleros, mascletas and a lot of partying of course.

As fallas are made of cardboard, they cannot be wet, so they're planted displayed on March 16 and can be seen until March 19 (it never rains in these days). Each falla represents a topic, normally about policy or current topics, but they can represent anything.

Another important element of fallas is the firecracker. Every Valencian child goes out and hangs out with his friends to throw firecrackers. When I was a kid I was crazy with them, but now I don't bother with them because when I go out I cannot even walk with all the annoying noises and all the firecrackers bursting around. Now I prefer to go to party with my friends in Valencia.

To finish this entry, I’m going to talk about the last day (March 19), known as “el dia de la cremà”. In on this day hundreds of fallas are burnt in Valencia at night. Minor fallas are burnt at 21:00 and the major ones at 00:30 or later.
    In the first place First, a firework is thrown, and then the falla, which has been surrounded with a bunch of firecrackers, is turned on lit. 
    The town hall falla is kind of special because it’s broadcast on TV and it has great fireworks, which play with coloured lights.