Let's Have a Discussion!

The relationship between retired elderly people and their children is an increasingly serious problem that threatens the harmony of Chinese society. A young couple may have to take care of four parents as well as their own child. What do you think our community should do to ensure that the elderly still live a happy meaningful life in old age without putting much burden on the younger generation? And what should the elderly people themselves do to help solve this problem? More important, what should we do to protect the basic fabric of our traditional society in such circumstances?

Let's Have a Discussion!

The relationship between retired elderly people and their children is an increasingly serious problem that threatens the harmony of Chinese society. A young couple may have to take care of four parents as well as their own child. What do you think our community should do to ensure that the elderly still live a happy meaningful life in old age without putting too much burden on the younger generation? And what should the elderly people themselves do to help solve this problem? More important, what should we do to protect the basic fabric of our traditional society in such circumstances?

This problem is a predictable consequence of the One Child Policy. Because it is impossible to go back in time and undo this mistake, the results are here to stay. Only the 40 to 70 million males who will never find a wife will have a lesser burden, they will only have to support their own two parents.