jobber, å gjøre, sove

Fordi det wer mange jobber å gjøre, jeg gjorde ikke sove i natt.

New words
jobber
Jeg jobber hardt
( can jobber act as a noun?)
å gjøre
Jeg liker å gjøre lekser
sove
Jeg sover på 10 ( why sove in the above sentence?)

Fordi det wer var mange jobber å gjøre, jeg gjorde ikke sove sov jeg ikke i natt. 

”å være” means ”to be”. It is an irregular verb and is conjugated like this: ”er” (present), ”var” (past), ”har vært” (past participle).

”Fordi det var mange jobber å gjøre” is fine, but ”fordi det var mye å gjøre” (because there was a lot to do) or ”fordi jeg hadde mye å gjøre” (because I had a lot to do) sounds more natural in Norwegian.

”å gjøre” is never used together with another verb, even though that is the case in English. Therefore the English sentence ”I did not sleep last night” is translated to ”Jeg sov ikke i natt”.

After an embedded clause the verb precedes the subject. That is why ”sov” comes before ”jeg” in this sentence.

”jobber” is the present form of the verb ”å jobbe” (to work). But it can also act as the plural form of the nouns ”work” or ”job”. The singular form is ”jobb”.

”Jeg jobber som lege” means ”I work as a doctor”.

”Jeg liker jobben min” means ”I like my job”.

”sover” is the present form of the verb ”å sove” (to sleep). It is always conjugated when succeeding a pronoun, but when it follows another verb, it is often used in its infinitive form. For example ”Jeg vil sove” which means ”I want to sleep”.

”Jeg sover klokken 10” means ”I sleep 10 o’clock” or ”I’m asleep 10 o’clock”.

”Jeg sovner klokken 10” means ”I fall asleep 10 o’clock”.

”Jeg legger meg klokken 10” means ”I’m going to bed 10 o’clock”.

:)

More notebook entries written in Norwegian