Sergei Dovlatov

Dovlatov was born on September 3, 1941 in Ufa, USSR.
His mother was an Armenian and worked as a proofreader. His father was half Jewish and he was a director of the theater.
Dovlatov studied at the Finnish Department of Leningrad State University, but flunked after 2 and half years.So he was drafted in the army and served as a prison guard in high-security camps for 3 years.
Later he earned his living as a journalist in various newspapers and magazines in Leningrad and then as a correspondent of the Tallinn newspaper.
In his free-time he wrote short stories. Most of them are biographical. For instance, "The Reserve"is about his work as a guide at the Pushkin's museum near Pskov. "The Compromise" was written during his work as a journalist in Estonia. But such stories as "A Foreign woman" and "Affiliate" have been written after he emigrated to America with his family in 1979.
Exactly there in America Dovlatov became popular and successful writer. While he was living in NY he became the chief editor in the newspaper "The New American" and presenter on the radio "Liberty".
Dovlatov died of a heart attach on August 24, 1990 in NY.

Sergei Dovlatov

His mother was an Armenian and worked as a proofreader. His father was half Jewish and he was a theater director.
    Dovlatov studied at the Finnish Department of Leningrad State University, but flunked after two and half years.  So he was drafted into the army and served as a prison guard in high-security camps for 3 years.
    Later he earned his living as a journalist for various newspapers and magazines in Leningrad and then as a correspondent for the Tallinn newspaper.
    In his spare time he wrote short stories. Most of them are biographical. For instance, "The Reserve" is about his work as a guide at the Pushkin museum near Pskov. "The Compromise" was written during his work as a journalist in Estonia. But stories such as "A Foreign woman" and "Affiliate" have been written after he immigrated to America with his family in 1979.
    It was in America that Dovlatov became popular and successful writer. While he was living in NY he became the chief editor at the newspaper "The New American" an announcer on the radio "Liberty".
    Dovlatov died of a heart attack on August 24, 1990 in NY.