Copied answer

"Now that it's raining more than ever..." implies "..." "because/while [Now that]" "It is currently raining more than it ever has."

To say "...it's raining more than it never has" could literally be interpreted as "It is currently raining more than [the time period when] never." ...or, "It is currently raining more than not ever in time. (or, more than "a non-existent time")"

i.e., It would not be like saying, "This number is greater than 0.", or "This number is greater than all the numbers on the number line." or "This number is greater than... a number on the number line." ("more than ever")

Rather, it would be like saying, "This number is greater than undefined." or "This number is greater than some number which is not on the number line." or "This number is greater than... 'not a number on the number line'." ("more than never")

"Not ever in time" [i.e. never] isn't quantifiable, so to say something has happened "more" or "less than" it never has is not viable, because it's not comparable.

I can "never eat kittens".
I can "never eat that many kittens"
I can " never eat less kittens than this."
I can " eat less kittens than ever."
I can " eat less kittens than I ever ate. [in whatever time period is being referred to]" (lengthened sentence: the full-form of the above sentence)
I can "not ever have eaten less kittens." (Which would mean that I am eating fewer kittens than any point in the past.)
I can "not ever eat less kittens." (Which would mean that I will eat many, many kittens in the future. )
But, I can't "eat less kittens than I never ate."
So, I can't "eat less kittens than never."

To say, "It's never rained this much" would make sense, as "It has currently" "not ever in time" "rained this much".

More notebook entries written in Other