Should Cigarettes and other tobacco products be banned?

Smoking is a major cause of serious illness and death throughout the world today. In the interest of public health, government should ban cigarettes and other tobacco products. Do you agree or disagree?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smoking is one of the most common forms of recreational drug use today. Millions of people are smoking everyday, they may feel that smoking brings them a sense of pleasure, helps them relax or relieve anxiety. However it is widely known that Smoking causes harmful effect to human body and increases the risk of countless health problems. In my opinion tobacco products should be prohibited by government and my primary reasons are stated as below.

First of all, the adverse effect on cigarette smoking account for many health risks as ingredients of tobacco are chemically active, such as nicotine, tar, ammonia etc… and they can start dramatic and fatal changes in human body which contribute to diseases like Lung cancer, Stomach cancer, respiratory or cardiovascular disease. Further more, smoking harms not just the smoker, but also family members, coworkers and others who inhale unintentionally from cigarette smokers, called secondhand smoke. For instance, if a pregnant woman smokes, it doubles the chance that a baby will be born too early or weigh less, even with the risk of stillbirth.

Aside from the health effect, Smoking cigarette is an expensive habit. Maybe it is not too much for you to pay a pack of cigarette a day, for example, $4.00 per pack, but the money you spent on cigarette could amount to almost $1500 in a year, thinking about if you have been smoking 20 years, Would the total cost matter to you? I believe it would be much meaningful if the same amount of money spent on other places such as tourism or Education. The further point is that being at greater risk of medical problems smokers may have to pay higher medical insurance or life insurance premium than those non-smokers to safeguard their health.

From what have been discussed above, I restate my position that smoking should be forbidden for the sake of individual and public’s health, it may be a long way to go, but considering the serious problems it causes, I believe that this should be the ultimate goal.

Smoking is one of the most common forms of recreational drug use today. Millions of people are smoking every day. They may feel that smoking brings them a sense of pleasure, helps them relax or relieve anxiety. However it is widely known that smoking causes harmful effect to the human body and increases the risk of countless health problems. In my opinion tobacco products should be prohibited by government and my primary reasons are stated as below. 

First of all, the adverse effect of cigarette smoking account for many health risks as the ingredients of tobacco are chemically active, such as nicotine, tar, ammonia etc… and they can start dramatic and fatal changes in the human body which contribute to diseases like Lung cancer, Stomach cancer, respiratory or cardiovascular disease. Further more, smoking harms not just the smoker, but also family members, coworkers and others who inhale unintentionally from cigarette smokers, called secondhand smoke. For instance, if a pregnant woman smokes, it doubles the chance that a baby will be born too early or weigh less, there is even with the risk of stillbirth.

Aside from the health effects, Smoking cigarettes is an expensive habit. Maybe it is not too much for you to buy a pack of cigarettes a day, for example, $4.00 per pack, but the money you spent on cigarettes could amount to almost $1500 in a year. Thinking about if you have been smoking 20 years, Would the total cost matter to you? I believe it would be much more meaningful if the same amount of money was spent on other things such as tourism or Education. A further point is that being at greater risk of medical problems smokers may have to pay higher medical insurance or life insurance premium than those non-smokers to safeguard their health and dependants.

From what has been discussed above, I restate my position that smoking should be forbidden for the sake of individual and public’s health, it may be a long way to go, but considering the serious problems it causes, I believe that this should be the ultimate goal.