Has men’s commitment to housework or domestic labour changed?

Introduction

As a concept of gender equality has risen nowadays, opportunities for women to participate in workplace have increased. Market places where women can contribute emerged after World War II, and this situation helped to diminish the stereotype that women or mother should be domesticated. Being less time for women to do housework, commitment to household labour by men seems to be required more than the past. In fact there are some studies suggests that men start to participate to household labour. For example, Meah and Jackson (2012) focused on men’s cooking in home more than the past, and Szabo (2012) found increasing number of men’s cooking as leisure. Moreover, Johansson (2011) argued the changing masculinity and fatherhood, and investigated men who experienced parental leave and decided to participate in child caring. Although the attitude toward housework by men seems to be changing, some of studies suggest that women still feel inequality in sharing housework. For instance, Walters and Whitehouse (2012) investigated how high skilled working women feel unfairness and unsatisfied with way of doing household labour by their male partner. Those participants take a significant responsibility in unpaid domestic labour, albeit they have returned to their workplace after giving children birth. This paper will argue the transformation of notion of domestic labour by men firstly, then will examine that gender inequality which still remain in the social context thus and most of household labour is women’s task, and finally conclude that changing men’s attitude towards housework seems to be increased, but it has not reached to the ideal of gender equality for women.