Being a European citizen !

I am a European citizen! Really? ! Last day, I was travelling in France by train. And I heard a discussion back from my sit. A man was claiming with a righteous indignation: « Yes, I am a European citizen ». Really, do you? Was what every people around thinking sarcastically!

Because the European citizenship is something, which, in the best case, bring you bad experience, or the worst-case scenario is that you are even not aware of it. Let me explain!

First of all, to be a European citizen you need first to be a national citizen of one member state of the European Union. What does that mean? That means nobody can have the European citizenship by his own. This doesn’t exist. But, if you are a citizen of Belgium for example, one of the members of EU, then you have automatically the European citizenship.

The European citizenship is in addition of your national citizenship, but it does not replace it. Plus, The European citizenship does not extend your right to any other nationality. This is odd! Really. And for what? Usually, in Europe, the nationality can be acquired by birth or descent (jus sanguinis and jus soli). Nevertheless, you are entitled to the acquisition of the citizenship under certain conditions.

The European citizenship gives you the right to vote at the municipality election in an other member state of yours. You are also entitled to stand as a candidate in municipal and European elections in the host member state, which is the political expression of the concept of European citizenship.

But, be careful! You can lose your nationality if you live too much out of your country. That is the case in United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Cyprus, Malta and Hungary. In UK, you lose your right to vote after 15 years spending abroad.

All that means, that the European citizenship is something that brings you some rights when as a EU national citizen, you decide to live in an other member state of the EU, but that same right can jeopardized your first right if you forgot to come back home! Wow! Has somebody said bureaucracy?

Being a European citizen !

I am a European citizen! Really? ! Last day Yesterday, I was travelling in France by train. And I heard a discussion back from my sit seat. A man was claiming with a righteous indignation: « Yes, I am a European citizen ». "Really, do you?" Wwas what every people around thinking thought sarcastically!

Because the European citizenship is something, which, in the best case, brings you bad experience, or in the worst-case scenario is that you are even not aware of it. Let me explain!

The European citizenship is in addition of to your national citizenship, but it does not replace it. Plus, The European citizenship does not extend your right to any other nationality. This is odd! Really. And for what? Usually, in Europe, the nationality can be acquired by birth or descent (jus sanguinis and jus soli). Nevertheless, you are entitled to the acquisition of the citizenship under certain conditions.

The European citizenship gives you the right to vote at the municipality election in any other member state of yours. You are also entitled to stand as a candidate in municipal and European elections in the host member state, which is the political expression of the concept of European citizenship.

But, be careful! You can lose your nationality if you live too much out of your country. That is the case in United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Cyprus, Malta and Hungary. In UK, you lose your right to vote after spending 15 years spending abroad.

All that means, that the European citizenship is something that brings you some rights when as a EU national citizen, you decide to live in an other another member state of the EU, but that same right can jeopardized your first right if you forgot forget to come back home! Wow! Has somebody said bureaucracy?