Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

In preparation for my upcoming Immersion Day at the Irish Cultural Center here in Philadelphia...

Here are the phrases I want to be extra good and saying and understanding. This is my first crack at these. :) Anybody can help translate (or correct my translation!) feel free to do so. The in-person lessons at the event will be SO helpful, I think, and I can't wait!! <3 Go raibh maith agat! - Amanda.

First go, translated phrases:

1. My name is Amanda. ... Is mise Amanda. / Amanda is ainm dom.
2. I am married. My husband's name is Craig. ... Tá mé pósta. Is é ainm m'fhear céile Craig.
3. Nice to meet you! ... Deas buladah leat!
4. We live in Queen Village. ... Cónaí muid i Banríona Sráidbhaile.
5. Irish is a beautiful language, but it is not easy. ... Is é an ghaeilge álainn, ach níl sé éasca
6. Say again, please? ... Abair aris é, le do thoil.

And these two I have no idea...

1. I enjoy studying, travel, and photography.
2. I have studied Irish for two months.

First go, translated phrases:

1. My name is Amanda. ... Is mise Amanda. / Amanda is ainm dom. [correct]

Is é ainm m'fhir chéile Craig ["m'fhear céile" goes into the genitive case after "ainm" - "the name OF my husband", you could also say "Craig is ainm do m'fhear céile"
    3. Nice to meet you! ... Deas buladah leat! [bualadh]

Tá muid inár gcónaí i Sráidbhaile na Banríona.

Is álainn an teanga í an Ghaeilge, ach níl sí éasca
    6. Say again, please? ... Abair aris é, le do thoil. [correct]

And these two I have no idea...

Taitníonn liom a bheith ag staidéar, ag taisteal agus ag glacadh grianghraf [or, Is maith liom an staidéar, an taisteal agus an ghrianghrafadóireacht]
    2. I have studied Irish for two months.

Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge le dhá mhí.

Maith thú agus go n-éirí do lá leat!

More notebook entries written in Gaelic (Irish)