My favorite person

My favorite person is my mother. She is a saint. I have never met anyone who is as kind and calm. She is a great mother and a friend to me. I cannot think of one instance where she had let her mood dictate her parenting, which I see often in other parents. She understands her role as a mother; she scolds me when I do something wrong, but never yell at me or fight with me. But what makes her my favorite person is not just because she is a great mother, but she has a great sense of humor and hospitality to others. Being raised by a mother like her is better than reading any parenting books.

Practicing impromptu writing.

My favorite person is my mother. She is a saint. I have never met anyone who is as kind and calm. She is a great mother and a friend to me. I cannot think of one instance where she had let her mood dictate her parenting, which I see often in other parents. She understands her role as a mother; she scolds me when I do something wrong, but never yells at me or fights with me. But what makes her my favorite person is not just that she is a great mother, but that she has a great sense of humor and hospitality to others[*]. Being raised by a mother like her is better than reading any parenting books.

Practicing impromptu writing.

[*] 'Because' sounded awkward to me in that sentence. "what makes" implies reasoning already, so adding "because" confuses the syntax. Another option for that sentence would be: "She is my favourite person not just because she is a great mother, but also because she has a great sense of homour and hospitality to others".

Also, starting a sentence with 'but' can be seen as incorrect. I think it's fine in your case, but some people can be pedantic about it. To avoid that, use "However, " instead of "But".

P.S. Your mum sounds wonderful!