The big one eats the small one.

I love when people (especially my parents) tell me about how I behaved or looked like in my childhood. The image that they create is so unfamiliar to me; they just describe another person.

When I was about 3 years old, my parents used to cook fish. Everything was happening in a "ritual". My mother was cutting off (I don't know what verb I should use in this context) the fish scales. After that, I was rolling them into the flour and then, my father was putting them into the frying pan. Sometimes, some of the fish were struggling to survive, fighting in vain to the ruthless knife. Seeing the poor fish, I didn't feel his pain, I didn't understand him. I was just asking silly: "Why is he struggling?" and my father was asking kindly "Because it hurts him." In the end, we're acting like wild animals. Is it good for the superior breed?

Is it good if I used the past continous? I wanted to express continuity.

The big one eats the small one.

I love when people (especially my parents) tell me about how I behaved or looked like in my childhood. The image that they create is so unfamiliar to me; they just/totally describe another person.

When I was about 3 years old, my parents used to cook fish. Everything happened in a "ritual". My mother scaled the fish. After that, I rolled them in the flour and then, my father put them in the frying pan. Sometimes, some of the fish struggled to survive, fighting in vain to the ruthless knife. Seeing the poor fish, I didn't feel their pain, I didn't understand them. I just asked sillily: "Why is he struggling?" and my father would answer kindly "Because it hurts him." (or: Oneday I was asking sillily: "why is he struggling?" and my father was answering kindly "Because it hurts him...") In the end, we're acting like wild animals. Is it right for the superior beings?

Is it good if I used the past continous? I wanted to express continuity : I reallised you were describing everyday events. In case of a single event, it's usable e.g. the alternative sentence I put in brackets 8-)