Chinese to English translation practice, (Erhu music book 1)

I am trying to learn to play the erhu. All the textbooks I have are in Chinese. I am going to try and translate one, or at least what seems to be the most important parts, very slowly of course.

Here are 3 short lines from the first pages. It was really hard to read and understand. I am certain some parts are wrong. I have highlighted the parts of the sentence I didn't really understand before my translations. If you could help explain them at all, that would be really helpful.

Thank you.

1. 琴简:是二胡发音的共鸣体, 是乐器的重要的部分。琴简的后部是音窗,他除了对琴简起美观作用外,对发音也有一定的好处。琴简的形状有六角形, 八角形,圆形, 前八角后圆形种, 现在常用的为六角形者较多。

(I struggled esp with前八角后圆形种)

1. Main body: This is the part of the erhu that produces sound. it is an important part of the instrument. At the back of the main body is the sound window. Apart from making the instrument more beautiful, it also has a definite good benefit for the sound. The main body is either hexagonal, octagonal, or circular. Circular shaped bodies came after octagonal ones, and now comparatively more have hexagonal bodies.

2。琴皮:有蟒皮和蛇皮两种。是二胡上重要的发音体之一,它对音质和优劣与音量的大小起决定性作用。

(The end of this sentence was very hard to understand它对音质和优劣与音量的大小起决定性作用。)

2. The Qin skin. There are 2 types of skin, python and snakeskin. The skin has an important role in producing sound. It plays a decisive role in both the quality of the tone and the volume of the sound produced.

3。琴杆:是琴的躯干,它太多为圆柱形,现亦有制成椭圆柱形,少年儿童使用更为适宜。

(This part is most confusing here, 它太多为圆柱形, also更为)

3. Qin pole. The qin pole is the trunk of the instrument . Too many are cylindrical, but now there are also elliptic cylindrical shaped ones which are more suitable for children.

Thank you.

(I struggled esp with前八角后圆形种)

1. Main body: This is the part (resonator?) of the erhu that produces sound. it is an important part of the instrument. At the back of the main body is the sound window. Apart from making the instrument more beautiful, it also has a definite good benefit for the sound. The main body is either hexagonal, octagonal, or circular. Circular shaped bodies came after octagonal ones, and now comparatively more have hexagonal bodies.

You have done a marvellous job in translating.  音窗 literally "sound window" is what we call in English, the sound box.

前八角后圆形种 = First came the octagonal shapes before the round ones

它太多为 = they are more so

更为       = even [more] so,

Thank you.

(I struggled esp with前八角后圆形种)

More notebook entries written in Chinese (Mandarin)