Foreword (Grammar Book)中文

我們這本英文文法書,是專門為中國人寫的。以下是這書的一些特徵:
1. 我們一開始祇就強調一些英文文法的基本規定,這些規定都是我們中國人所不太習慣的。也就是說,我們一開始就告訴了讀者,大家不要犯這種錯誤。
2. 我們馬上就進入動詞,理由很簡單,這是我們中國人最弱的地方。如果我們拖到很晚才討論動詞的規則,極可能為時已晚。讀者已有了一些很壞的習慣,無可救藥矣。根據我們的經驗,絕大多數我們的錯誤,都與動詞有關。這也難怪,中文裡面,那兒有什麼動詞的規則?
3. 我們一再叫大家做中翻英,畢竟我們是初學英文,也沒有和外國人生活在一起的環境,不可能在腦子裡一開始就用英文想。我們一定要先想中文,才再想英文,這是初學英文者所無法避免的。如果我們會翻譯很多的中文句子,我們已經很厲害了。也會有成就感。
4. 我們強調改錯,因為初學者一定犯錯。
這本書最適合高中一年級的同學唸,國中生當然也可以唸,只是會感到生字多了一點。老師不妨略過那些有生字的句子。只要基本觀念學會,就可以了。我們已經盡量用了最簡單的字。
這本文法書是入門的文法書,讀了這本書,再去讀其他文法書,會比較好。單靠這本書,嫌太淺了一點。
最後我們要勸告初學的讀者,你們不妨多背句子,背到後來,你自然不會犯錯。英文文法並沒有太多邏輯可言,很多規則用慣了,習慣成自然。就大功告成矣。到那時侯,你一定會很奇怪,為什麼別人會犯那些荒謬的錯誤了。
如果你背了很多正確的句子,總有一天,你說英文的時候,動詞該加s,你就會加s。該用過去式,就會用過去式。兩個動詞也不會連在一起用,疑問句也會用疑問句的語法。那是多麼美好的一天。
希望這一天早日到來!

4. 我們強調改錯,因為初學者一定犯錯。
    希望這一天早日到來!

We stress to correct errors, because the beginners make a mistake easily. The book is very suitable for the students from grade one of senior high school. What the only is the new words are a lot. Teachers can avoid the phrases with new words. Only you have learnt the basic concept, that is alright. We have already tried to use the most simple words. The book is entrance grammar book. You read the book, then read other grammar books, it is better. If you only depend the book, the content is superficial a little. Finally, we have to advice the readers, you should recite sentences as more as possible, until to final, you would not violate the mistakes naturally. The English grammars can be not much logic to follow, many rules are used more, the habit will be to nature, also you will be success in the end. In that time you must be astonished why other people make the absurd error. If you recite lots of correct sentences, sooner or later you will speak the English naturally, and the verb should add the S, you will add S, should use the pass tense that you will use pass tense, two verbs are not linked together use. The question sentences also use the question sentence grammar. That is what a beautiful day.
    Hope this day coming early!

We once more stress on correcting the errors of the students as they will inevitably commit.

This book is most suitable /appropriate for first year high school students and for those of the junior level.  The difference is that there are more vocabulary to master.  Of course the teacher can opt to skip them.  Learning the basic concepts is more important.  We had tried our utmost to keep the vocabulary to the simplest level.

This is a beginning grammar book. It is best that after going through this book, one should consult more advance grammar books. Relying just only on this book is not enough.  Finally we strongly advise you, the beginning student to memorize as much as you can on the sentences and phrases. This helps lowering the amount of your errors.  With enough practice, it becomes natural to you.  There may be no logic to English grammar but there are many rules to follow.  However, the more you use them, the more natural it will become for you and success will be at hand.  You will then be wondering why others commit such silly mistakes.  

If you are able to memorize the accurate phrases and sentences, the day will come when you speak English, you will automatically know when to add an 's' to verbs; when past tense ought to be used, you will use past tense. No longer will double verbs be used together; when phrasing as a question, the verbs will be use correctly.

It is indeed a great day when the time comes.  We sincerely hope that it will come soon for you.

As you can see, Martin, simply correcting your English from your entry will be an impossible task without the original.  This is because of the nuance of the two disparate languages, the cultural aspect and the situation in which the piece is written.  Translation is not simply a one-to-one transformation of words in one language to another.  However, by learning from translation, you learn the cultural aspects also.  This is a freebie from such an exercise.  As always, if you have any question, please ask.  Also remember, this is not the only way to translate.  Different people have different styles.  I am just only one of them.

Foreword (Grammar Book)中文

2. We teach the verbs immediately, the reason is simple that Chinese are very weak in the portion. If we discuss the verb regular so late, once the readers have got the bad habit, they will change it hardly. As our experience, there are many mistakes related to verbs.
    Inevitably, where can we find these rules in Chinese?

Delving into verbs is the first thing we need to do.  The reason is very simple.  This is because it is the weakest part in the Chinese language.  If we were to delay to them to the very end, it would be too late to undo any damage from bad habits learnt.  It will be our fault if we were to do so since many errors stem from verb usage.  In Chinese, there are no such rules.  Here the translation is a bit off.  This is due to cultural differences.  In Chinese, it is a teacher-student relation, ie superior to subordinate situation.  I tell you to do this and so you should not argue.  In English, it is preferable to have an equal position situation to counsel.  We believe the book should be on friendlier terms rather than a dictating one.  This is how general books are sold.  Again your translation is correct but in very informal terms.  This is too much, after all the book teaches you and so you cannot totally abandon this notion.  So slang like, "got the bad habit" must not be used.  Since this is not a literature book, idioms such as 無可救藥矣 "No medicine can save you" should be be translated at all. Although the English reader can understand, it is not how it is expressed in English. It will make the translation become Chinglish and will ruin the reputation of the book.

3. We always tell you all to translate the Chinese to English. After all we are the beginners of English. There are not the environment lived with foreigners. We hardly thought in English in your brain at the beginning. We always thought the Chinese first, then translate the English, it is inevitable for the beginners of English. If we are able to translate many English sentences, we are very well and also we can have the feeling of achievement.

Let us remind ourselves that we need to translate from Chinese into English first.  After all, we are first timers; we have not interact with native speakers, nor living in the English enviroment.  If we were to think in English first, it will be a disaster.  This is a situation most students will be facing. We need to formulate in terms of Chinese before the attempt into English.  If we are able to translate most of the Chinese terms into English, we are at a formidable level and we would have felt some achievement. Again, we need not be in a too commanding position.  Also notice that the some of the thoughts are not translated in the order as in the original.  This is because of the different logical system of thoughts in English and Chinese.  In English, the logical is in a linear form.  Chinese is "zigzag".  Eg in the style of 八股文.

The original text is from http://www.italki.com/entry/357717 which I reproduced for easy reference.  My translation version is in blue. Explanations and comments are in brown.

我們這本英文文法書,是專門為中國人寫的。以下是這書的一些特徵:

The English grammar book was written for Chinese especially, below are the features of the book.

This English grammar book is written especially for the Chinese student. Below are the distinctive features of the book. Notice the tense used.  Your use of past tense is wrong because it implies that it is now no longer the truth.  Always use present tense for truths.  It does not matter if it is really true or not, as long as it is perceived by the writer.  Other than this, your translation is not bad at all.  Try to translate as accurate as possible unless it makes no sense in target language.  For example, 這本 must be translated as "this book" for emphasis.  In this case, both Chinese and English culture is the same.  You are trying to sell this book.  特徵 = distinctive features.  This is the standard translation.  "Characteristic", "feature" is okay but 特 is lost in the translation.

1. At the beginning of the book we only stress the basic grammar rules which are unused to our Chinese. That is to say we have noticed the readers who don’t violate this kind of mistake.

Before we start, we strongly emphasize/stress on the basic grammar rules of English.  These rules often do not agree with the Chinese language usage.  In another words, we shall alert readers of these situations.  One basic problem confronting a translator is whether to translate it literally or not.  There are pros and cons but my basic premise is to translate literally in poetry, religious works, law (again this depends on many other factors), etc so as not to lose the original flavour but semantically correct for the rest.  In this case, you want to present how English is used naturally.  So it is better not to translate literally. My literal version is a bit more polished. "We must be in the beginning, strongly stress that some English grammar rules, these rules are unusual in usage to Chinese"  Notice that I did not translate 習慣 ("use to", "accustom to" etc).  This is because it is understood from the way it was written in English.