Baseball vs Lapta

When I'd been studying at school from sixth to ninth grade, my English school-teacher was an American from San-Diego, California. His name was Christopher Mahone, but never let us call him "Mr. Mahone", so we called him just by his name - Chris.

Traditionally, if the weather was fine, a part of our English lessons had been spent outside, and Chris had something special for such times - he taught us to play baseball! I guess, he thought it might be interesting and unusual for Russian students to try to play this game, and he was right..but not completely - some students, like me, had already got not bad skills of handling a bat! There was no problem to us to cope with baseball difficulties, just because we'd been regulary playing another one bat-and-ball game, which is named "lapta".

Lapta is an antient Russian game which has been known since 14th century. The main differences between lapta and baseball are the shape of the bat - the bat for lapta is flat (but, actually, we always used common baseball bats), and the process of getting points - to get two points playing lapta you need to cross the field twice, running over and back. And the other rules of both two games are rather similar to each other. You can learn about the game from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapta_%28game%29

When I was playing lapta or baseball I was always good with hitting the ball (I guess, I'm just fast in my response), but I constantly had problems with running - I was a clumsy youngster unabled to run so fast. But my good skills of hitting balls compensated for my clumsiness more often than not :D

There's also another one game being similar to lapta and baseball - this is old British game named "Rounders'', but I have never tryed to play it..

Corrections in red.  Stylistics in blue.

Baseball vs Lapta

When I was studying at school from the sixth to ninth grade, my English schoolteacher was an American from San Diego, California. His name was Christopher Mahone, but he never let us call him "Mr. Mahone", so we called him just by his name - Chris.

Traditionally, if the weather was fine, a part of our English lessons was spent outside, and Chris had something special for such times - he taught us to play baseball! I guess, he thought it might be interesting and unusual for Russian students to try to play this game, and he was right..but not completely - some students, like me, had already developed fairly good skills at handling a bat!  It was no problem for us to cope with the difficulties of baseball, just because we'd been regulary playing another one bat-and-ball game, which is named "lapta".

Lapta is an ancient Russian game which has been known since the 14th century. The main differences between lapta and baseball are the shape of the bat - the bat for lapta is flat (but, actually, we always used ordinary baseball bats), and the process of getting points - to get two points playing lapta you need to cross the field twice, running over and back. And the other rules of both two games are rather similar to each other. You can learn about the game from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapta_%28game%29

When I was playing lapta or baseball I was always good at hitting the ball (I guess I just have fast reflexes), but I constantly had problems with running - I was a clumsy youngster, unable to run very fast. But my good skills at hitting the ball compensated for my clumsiness more often than not :D

There's also another one game which is being similar to lapta and baseball - this is the old British game called "Rounders'', but I have never tryed to play it.

Excellently written!

You probably already know this, but in baseball, the team doesn't get points. It "scores runs."