Learning Spanish Sign Language

Yesterday I had my first Spanish Sign Language class. I signed up for this course because this month I've started an Audiology course, so when I finish it in two years (and if I am lucky enough to get a job), I'll be working with deaf people everyday. The knowledge of Spanish Sign Language is not a requirement to work as an audioprothesis technician, but I think it would be great to be able to communicate with all my customers (those who can speak Spanish and those who find difficulty in talking).

The teacher is a young man, a very nice, fun person, but he gave me a hard time at the class. He is deaf, and speaking Spanish is forbidden during the class. But I thought we would use the blackboard more at the beginning, until we the students know quite a few signs. Well, I was wrong. He wrote hardly any word in the blackboard and didn't allow us to write either. He made us mime in front of the class to express ourselves. I understand what is the point of that: making us aware that it's the attitude that counts. Even if we are learning Spanish Sign Language, whenever we have to communicate with a deaf person, there will be signs we won't know, so we'll have to make them up and find the way to be understood by the other. And I agree with that... But I'm a very shy person, so you can imagine my feelings and my face at that moment.

I'm terrified thinking about the following class and what we will do. However, I know learning Spanish Sign Language will worth the effort!

Learning Spanish Sign Language

Yesterday I had my first Spanish Sign Language class. I signed up for this course because this month I've started an Audiology course, so when I finish it in two years (and if I am lucky enough to get a job), I'll be working with deaf people everyday. The Knowledge of Spanish Sign Language is not a requirement to work as an audioprothesis technician, but I think it would be great to be able to communicate with all my customers (those who can speak Spanish and those who find difficulty in talking).

The teacher is a young man, a very nice, fun person, but he gave me a hard time at the in class. He is deaf, and speaking Spanish is forbidden during the class. But I thought we would use the blackboard more at the beginning, until we the students know learned quite a few signs. Well, I was wrong. He wrote hardly any words in on the blackboard and didn't allow us to write any either. He made us mime in front of the class to express ourselves. I understand what is the point of that: making us aware that it's the attitude that counts. Even if we are learning Spanish Sign Language, whenever we have to communicate with a deaf person, there will be signs we won't know, so we'll have to make them up and find the a way to be understood by the each other. And I agree with that... But I'm a very shy person, so you can imagine my feelings and my face at that moment.

I'm terrified thinking about the following class and what we will do. However, I know learning Spanish Sign Language will be worth the effort!

As always, really good job. This sounds like an interesting career, too. I'm also shy, but I encourage you to try to overcome it because you have so much to offer.