David and Goliath

Many well-known artists were inspired by the story of «David and Goliath». They are Caravaggio, Osmar Schindler, Gustave Doré, Ilya Repin, Andrea Vaccaro, Titian, Rembrandt, of course Michelangelo and even the impressionist Edgar Degas.

«David and Goliath» is a biblical account. Goliath was a giant Philistine warrior, the young David was a shepherd and the future king of Israel. The king Saul and the Israelites were facing the Philistines near the Valley of Elah. Twice a day for 40 days, Goliath, the champion of the Philistines, came out between the lines and challenged the Israelites to send out a champion of their own to decide the outcome in single combat, but Saul and all the Israelites were afraid. David, bringing food for his elder brothers, heard that Saul had promised to reward any man who would defeat Goliath, and accepted the challenge. Saul reluctantly agreed and offered his armor, which David declined, taking only his sling and five stones from a brook.

David and Goliath confronted each other. Goliath was an extraordinary strong warrior of huge stature with his scaly armour, copper knee guards, helmet and shield. He had a sward in his belt and a massive bronze spear in his hand. Quite the contrary David wasn’t used to bearing weapons, so he declined armour. The only weapon he had was a sling (a missile weapon). The Philistine giant considered the fact that a young boy went out for a battle as an insult. It seemed to those who observed what was going on that the result of the single combat was predetermined. But physical strength doesn’t always determine the outcome of the battle. David hurled a stone from his sling with all his might and hit Goliath in the center of his forehead, Goliath fell on his face to the ground, and David cut off his head. The Philistines fled and were pursued by the Israelites.

The underlying purpose of the story is to show that Saul is not fit to be king and that David is. Saul was chosen to lead the Israelites against their enemies, but when faced with Goliath he refuses to do.

David and Goliath by Osmar Schindler, 1888

Corrections in red.  Stylistics in blue.  

David and Goliath

Many well-known artists were inspired by the story of David and Goliath. [1] They include Caravaggio, Osmar Schindler, Gustave Doré, Ilya Repin, Andrea Vaccaro, Titian, Rembrandt, of course Michelangelo, and even the impressionist Edgar Degas.

The story of David and Goliath [1] is a biblical account. Goliath was a giant Philistine warrior, and the young David was a shepherd and the future king of Israel. King Saul and the Israelites were facing the Philistines near the Valley of Elah. Twice a day for 40 days, Goliath, the champion of the Philistines, came out between the battle lines and challenged the Israelites to send out a champion of their own to decide the outcome of the war in single combat, but Saul and all the Israelites were afraid. David, bringing food for his elder brothers, heard that Saul had promised to reward any man who could defeat Goliath, and accepted the challenge. Saul reluctantly agreed, and offered David his armor, which David declined, taking only his sling and five stones from a brook.

David and Goliath confronted each other. Goliath was an extraordinarily strong warrior of huge stature, with his scaly armour, copper knee guards, helmet and shield. He had a sword in his belt, and a massive bronze spear in his hand. Quite to the contrary, David wasn’t used to bearing weapons, so he declined armor. [2] The only weapon he had was a sling (a projectile weapon). The Philistine giant considered the fact that a young boy came out for a battle as an insult. It seemed to those who observed what was going on that the result of the single combat was predetermined. But physical strength doesn’t always determine the outcome of a battle. David hurled a stone from his sling with all his might, and hit Goliath in the center of his forehead. Goliath fell face down on the ground, and David cut off his head. The Philistines fled, and were pursued by the Israelites.

The underlying purpose of the story is to show that Saul was not fit to be king, and that David was. Saul was chosen to lead the Israelites against their enemies, but when faced with Goliath, he refused to do so.

David and Goliath [3] by Osmar Schindler, 1888

[1]  Quotation marks [  "  "  ] are not necessary.  David and Goliath are not a title.

[2]  You had previously used the American spelling "armor", so I changed the British "armour" to "armor" for the sake of consistency of style.

[3]  Here, David and Goliath is the name of a painting.  Names of paintings and other works of art are either italicized [David and Goliath] or underlined [David and Goliath].  

Excellently written.