Lie to me - the world between truth and lie

Since I am too busy to download any new episodes of Big Bang Theory recently, I decide to watch some of the old dramas that have been stored in my mobile disk for almost a year. "Lie to me" was once quite popular but I didn't watch all of them because my lack of patience at that time. This week I started from the beginning and find that some ideas imbedded in the stories are quite interesting.

When talking about distinguishing between truth and lie, the first idea comes across in most people's mind, generally, is using polygraph. However, human's emotions are far too complex. Ecstacy, depression, contempt, disgust, anxiety, arousal, all these feelings can exert influnences on our blood pressure or other tangible body index. Therefore, one may fail the polygraph exam even if he or she is telling the truth. Cal, the hero in this drama, is an expert who studies the facial expressions and body language for years. For him, the universal language of human body is more reliable than a piece of cold machine. In another word, his job is reading the minds of others, and through analyzing the reasons behind these emotions, gradually approachs the utter truth.

This kind of ability seems quite unique and cool. Nevertheless, I believe not many of us really want be embowed with this aptitude. The divorce betwen Cal and his wife best exemplifies this argument. For Cal himself, he sees how people try to disguish their real feeling, but he fails to see the reason behind it. The world, in his viewpoint, is either black or white. He saw hesitation in his wife's eyes when standing at the altar This scene haunted him for years and resulted in distrust in his marriage, while his wife was tired of her eyebrows' movement being studied by her husband all the time. Therefore, as for me, the life in the middle of black and white, grey, is much more comfortable. It is not because lie is superior to truth, but sometimes too much truth can be uncomfortable or even hurtful, and in this case white lie is better than a crucial truth.

Lie to me - the world between truth and lies

Since I am was too busy to download any new episodes of Big Bang Theory recently, I decided to watch some of the old dramas that have been stored in my mobile hard disk for almost a year. "Lie to me" was once quite popular but due to I didn't watch all of them because my lack of patience at that time, I didn't complete the drama. This week, I started from the beginning and found find that some ideas iembedded in the stories are quite interesting.

When we talk talking about distinguishing between a truth and a lie, the first idea that comes across in most people's mind, is generally to use a , is using polygraph. However, human's emotions are far too complex. Ecstacsy, depression, contempt, disgust, anxiety, arousal, all of these feelings can exert influnences on our blood pressure or other tangible body index. Therefore, one may fail the polygraph exam even if he or she is telling the truth. Cal, the hero in this drama, is an expert who studies the facial expressions and body language for years. For him, the universal language of the human body is more reliable than a piece of cold machine. In other another words, his job is reading the minds of others, and through analyzing the reasons behind these emotions, he gradually approaches unravels the utter truth.

This kind of ability seems quite unique and cool. Nevertheless, I believe not many of us really want be embowed burdened with this aptitude. The divorce between of Cal and his wife best exemplifies this argument. For Cal himself, he sees how people try to disguish their real feeling, but he fails to see the reason behind it. The world, in his viewpoint, is either black or white. He saw hesitation in his wife's eyes when she was standing at the altar. This scene haunted him for years and resulted in his distrust in his own marriage, while his wife was tired of having her eyebrows' movement being studied by her husband all the time. Therefore, aAs for me, the living life in the middle of black and white, in the grey area, is much more comfortable. It is not because lies is are superior to the truth, but sometimes being too much truthful can be uncomfortable or even hurtful, and in this such cases, a white lie is better than the absolute a crucial truth.