Some doubts

I would like to know some differences about these words:

- sure and confident

- notice and realize

- whole and complete

- raise and rise

And I would like to know what is the meaning of this expressions:

- work shifs

- earn a good living

- work one's way up to the top

- be good value for money

- be nearning/past its sell by date

- same day/next day delivery

- set fire

- wory of

You can get all the differences in meanings if you type in Google, the following structure...

difference between XXX and YYY.

Some doubts

- sure and confident

- notice and realize

- whole and complete

- raise and rise

- work shifs

- earn a good living

- work one's way up to the top

- be good value for money

- be nearning/past its sell by date

- same day/next day delivery

- set fire

- wory of

Irene, son interesantes tus dudas, voy a dar mi opinión sobre la diferencia entre las primeras palabras:

"Sure" y "Confident", pueden significar lo mismo, la diferencia radica en que "sure" se usa para afirmar o confirmar un dato, por ejemplo: "I'm sure I called you last night", mientras que "confident" es usado para mostrar un sentimiento de confianza sobre algo, por ejemplo: "I'm confident about my grade".

"Notice" es más usado para expresar algo que acaba de ocurrir, por ejemplo: "Did you notice that guy on the bus?", mientras que "Realize" es usado para expresar que te diste cuenta de algo relacionado con otra acción, por ejemplo: " I was already in the mall when I realized I had forgotten my wallet".

"Whole" es usado para expresar algo como un todo, por ejemplo: " The whole class was playing games", mientras que "complete" se usa para expresar que algo está completo, por ejemplo: "The dinner was complete with the wine".

Ambas palabras significan lo mismo, "raise" puede ser usado como un sustantivo: "The boss gave a raise to everyone in the office", mientras que "rise" es usado comunmente como verbo: "Rise from your bed and go to work!"

Ahora con las expresiones:

-"Work shifs" es el horario de trabajo.

-"Earn a good living" significa como el salario, por ejemplo: I would earn a good living as an engineer". -"Work one's way to the top" es una expresión para decir que obtuvo éxito pero empezó desde abajo.

-"Be nearing/past its sell by date" significa la fecha de vencimiento del producto.

-"Same day/next day delivery" significa la fecha de entrega de un producto comprado que debe ser enviado.

-"Set fire" significa prenderle fuego a algo, por ejemplo: "The thief set fire to our beach house".

-"Worry of" es para expresar preocupación sobre algo ó alguién, por ejemplo: " I was worried about you".

Espero que sea de mucha ayuda.

Some doubts

- sure and confident - Sure could be used to say yes or used as a sense of confidence. "He was sure of himself."

- notice and realize - Notice can mean to see something. "I noticed the cat in the bushes." Realize has more to do with understanding something. "I realize she's not coming back."

- whole and complete - Whole means the entirety of something. "I ate the whole cake. Complete can mean to finish something or also the entirety of something. "I completed the project." or "I read the complet series of books."

- raise and rise - Both words mean to increase. "My boss gave me a raise." (increase in salary) "The water is rising."

- work shifs - Work shifts are your scheduled time at work. "My work shift lasts from 6am-2pm."

- earn a good living - To have a good job and make a good salary. "He earns a good living being a Doctor."

- work one's way up to the top - To progress and excel at something. "He started as a waiter but he worked his way to the top. Now he is the owner of the restaurant."

- be good value for money - A good deal. "I bought this car for $10,000. It was a great value for the money."

- be nearning/past its sell by date - Most food items in the U.S. have a sell by date on them to let you know if they are fresh. "I'm not sure if you should drink that milk, it's way past it's sell by date."

- same day/next day delivery - These are shipping terms determining how soon a package will arrive at its destination. "Would you like to ship your package with same day or next day delivery?"

- set fire - To start a fire. "I set fire to those logs in my backyard."

- wory of - Worry of? To worry about something. "I'm worried I may not pass next week's test."

I hope that helps!