Foreigners in Russia

Russians always had a special attitude towards foreigners. Really, here they like a wizards, magicians. Probably this is due to the times of the USSR, when foreighners were associated with prosperity and well-being. Maybe not. I can't tell about it for sure.
Anyway, a crowd gathers around foreigner, and everyone is actively trying to help him. They're trying to find out where he's going to go, what he's going to do and shout all the words that they knows on foreign language. Maybe I describe it grotesquely but it looks something like that.

Foreigners in Russia

Russians have always had a special attitude towards foreigners. Really, here they are like a wizards, magicians. Probably this is due to the times of the USSR (the Soviet era?), when foreighners were associated with prosperity and well-being. Maybe not. I can't tellsay about it for sure.
    Anyway, a crowd gathers around the foreigner, and everyone is actively trying to help him. They're trying to find out where he's going to go, what he's going to do and shout all the words that they knows on foreign language in any foreign language. Maybe I have described it grotesquely, but it looks (or looked?) something like that.

In the second paragraph it's unclear whether you're talking about a specific encounter with a foreigner or a typical encounter with a foreigner.  Since you've used present continuous, I get the impression that the second paragraph is describing a specific encounter rather than a typical encounter.