Pasquale
Community Tutor
English synonyms Hi natives! I want to improve my English vocabulary. For example, I saw on a website that the word "wipe" has a lot of synonyms. I often see that on this website there are words that are not much used. I would like among these words, which words are used and the different meanings of each one: wipe, rub, clean, dry, dust, mop, clear, wash, swab, soak up, obliterate, sop up, towel, sweep If you don't want to give me a lot of explanation you could say me only which words are used, which one you prefer to use and wich is your country.
Also 'Germany wiped the floor with Brazil in the World Cup'; the whole nation will want to wipe this from their collective memory.
wipe, rub, clean, dry, dust, mop, clear, wash, swab, soak up, obliterate, sop up, towel, sweep This perspective comes from the USA, particularly the West Coast. I wipe tables, I give a back rub (but for cleaning this would be "scrub"--either a back or whatever needs extra scrubbing). Dry? No, we "dry mop" the floor (no puddles of water left) or "dry clean" a silk shirt. I "dust the furniture/house" to remove dust. "Clear the table" or "clear the counter". We "wash clothes" or "wash up" the dishes. We might "mop up" to say that we are cleaning either a large mess, or literally mopping floors. The only thing we swab is a wound requiring a medical treatment. I would never "swab" while cleaning, although I shall be saying this tomorrow to make my coworkers laugh! We "soak up" the sunshine by being outside. Or we soak clothes or dirty dishes in soapy water for a few minutes. Obliterate? No, this would be a strange word to use. You can "sop up" gravy or sauce with your bread. You can "sop up" a large mess with a towel. A towel is larger than a rag. I would call my dishcloth a dishcloth, cloth, or rag. You can sweep, or "give it a sweep" by using a broom and dustpan. You can also sweep the flue with a chimney broom. Or you can "sweep through the room" giving a hasty clean, like if someone is unexpectedly coming over. Another way you can "sweep into a room" is with a large ego, or large personality or loud voice.
A very nice British version of these words Wendy! And now for the American side. We would say the windows need to be cleaned by rubbing them with paper towels and the floor needs to be swept. We rake yards if they are grass, but I guess we would sweep them too if they were concrete. What is a kitchen roll, paper towels? The rest is the same as American English!

English synonyms

Hi natives!
I want to improve my English vocabulary.
For example, I saw on a website that the word "wipe" has a lot of synonyms.
I often see that on this website there are words that are not much often/frequently used.
I would like to know which words among the following words, which words are commonly used and the different meanings of each one:
wipe, rub, clean, dry, dust, mop, clear, wash, swab, soak up, <em>obliterate,</em> sop up, towel, sweep

<em>obliterate stands out like a sore thumb in this list as not quite belonging.  the remainder are presumably somone's idea of synonyms for the verb 'to clean' or such. Assuming all are verbs, I think both towel and clear may need verbal phrase forms such as 'clear away' or 'clear the decks' 'towel down'.  Any and all of them may be used quite commonly - they are pretty well everyday words.</em>

If you don't want to give me a lot of explanation you could say me only which words are used, which one you prefer to use and wich is your country.

Sorry, hit the apostrophe by accident and didn't notice it there. I'll have The Apostrophe Protection Society after me. (see towels)