Exercise: GM Foods

QUESTION:

Biotechnology companies are developing different types of genetically-modified foods. To what extent do you think the advantages of GM foods outweigh the disadvantages?

ANSWER:

Ever since the first GM food product was released, there have always been heated discussions over the pros and cons of this technology. Despite all the strong opinion both for and against it, whether it does more good than harm is still controversial.

Those who advocate the benefits of this technology believe that it significantly improves productivity. Therefore, it helps to tackle world hunger. Additionally, some GM foods are more nutritious than their natural counterparts. By making use of this technology, scientists believe that they can create some new crops that taste like usual ones but have some uncommon nutritions. As for the safety issue, they argue that there is no scientific way to prove that one new product is completely risk free, since it is not scientifically possible to prove the nonexistence. For all these reasons, they believe GM foods’ advantages outweigh their disadvantages.

However, a larger number of people are concerned about this technology’s harm or potential risks to humanity and the earth. They say that GM foods’ security has not yet been thoroughly tested. Because the long-term effects on people’s health are still not known, more experiments related to food safety should be carried out before they are widely used. Moreover, the wide use of GM plants might have unexpected effects on the environment. The pollen of these GM plants carries some artificially injected genes. Once these genes are spread to the environment, they worry that it may result in a dramatic change of the ecological system.

In conclusion, it is still unclear if GM technology has more advantages than disadvantages. Anyway, I hope we human can benefit from it rather than being harmed by it.

Exercise: GM Foods

QUESTION:

ANSWER:

Those who advocate the benefits of this technology believe that it significantly improves productivity. Therefore, it helps to tackle world hunger. Additionally, some GM foods are more nutritious than their natural counterparts. By making use of this technology, scientists believe that they can create some new crops that taste like usual ones but have some uncommon nutritions are more nutritious. As for the safety issue, they argue that there is no scientific way to prove that one new product is completely risk free, since it is not scientifically possible to prove the nonexistence. For all these reasons, they believe GM foods’ advantages outweigh their disadvantages.

In conclusion, it is still unclear if GM technology has more advantages than disadvantages. Anyway, I hope we humans can benefit from it rather than being be harmed by it.

I think that always is redundant, because you already said 'ever since', another measurement of time.

I don't think that nutritions is a word.

human is singular. 'humans can', 'the human race can', 'mankind can' are alternatives.

2 verbs phrases with common subject: humans can benefit ..  (humans can) be harmed

Great work, Mel!