The Dragon Boat Festival(1)

The Dragon boat festival is one of the three major tradition Chinese holidays, along with the Spring Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival.
The Dragon Boat Festival is originated in the Period of Warring States to commemorate the death of Qu Yuan, an honest minister of the State of Chu who is said to have committed suicide by drowning himself in a river. He was so upright, loyal and skillful that he brought peace and prosperity to the state. But because of the jealous rivals’ misdeeds and slander, Qu Yuan eventually fell into disfavour with the emperor. When he realized that his own country has been in the hands of evil and corrupt officials, Qu Yuan felt that he could never do any contribution to his country. Sorrowfully, he grabbed a large stone and leapt into the Miluo River on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar. And this is how the Dragon Boat Festival came into being.
As can be seen from its name, the Dragon Boat Festival is best known for its dragon-boat races, especially in the southern provinces in China where there are many rivers and lakes. When the Festival is coming, the villagers will set about preparing the dragon boats. Actually, almost every village would have their own dragon boat and race team. The dragon boats are made very carefully so that the team can behave more competitively. Yet there are lots of specific rituals when making a dragon boat and every detail has its own special meaning. Here we can see some pictures about a dragon-boat race held in my hometown, Yangjiang. That’s really a thrilling sight. Here’s the preparation, waiting to start, the starter, the exciting fight and the cheer after victory. The village that win the race will be greatly honoured and awarded with medals, banners, jugs of wine and festive meals.

The Dragon Boat Festival(1)

The Dragon boat festival is one of the three major traditional Chinese holidays, along with the Spring Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival.
    The Dragon Boat Festival is originated in the Period of Warring States to commemorate the death of Qu Yuan, an honest minister of the State of Chu who is said to have committed suicide by drowning himself in a river. He was so upright, loyal and skillful that he brought peace and prosperity to the state. But because of the jealous rivals’ misdeeds and slander, Qu Yuan eventually fell into disfavour with the emperor. When he realized that his own country has been in the hands of evil and corrupt officials, Qu Yuan felt that he could never do make any contribution to his country. Sorrowfully, he grabbed a large stone and leapt into the Miluo River on the fifth day of the fifth month of the lunar calendar. And this is how the Dragon Boat Festival came into being.
    As can be seen from its name, the Dragon Boat Festival is best known for its dragon-boat races, especially in the southern provinces in China where there are many rivers and lakes. When the Festival is coming, the villagers will set about preparing the dragon boats. Actually, almost every village would have their own dragon boat and race team. The dragon boats are made very carefully so that the team can behave more competitively. Yet there are lots of specific rituals when making a dragon boat and every detail has its own special meaning. Here we can see some pictures about a dragon-boat race held in my hometown, Yangjiang. That’s It's really a thrilling sight. Here’s the preparation, waiting to start, the starter, the exciting fight and the cheer after victory. The village that win the race will be greatly honoured and awarded with medals, banners, jugs of wine and festive meals.