Rules.

Hi! Help me, please!
I can't understand how match the verbs and the prepositions.
I have the verbs: to give, to get rid, to wait, to clear, to wash; and the prepositions: of, up, for.
How to unite them?
whether there is a specific rule or set phrases?
Explain me, please =)

OOPT

Phrasal verbs

Phrasal verbs are part of a large group of verbs called "multi-word verbs". Phrasal verbs and other multi-word verbs are an important part of the English language. Multi-word verbs, including phrasal verbs, are very common, especially in spoken English. A multi-word verb is a verb like "pick up", "turn on" or "get on with". For convenience, many people refer to all multi-word verbs as phrasal verbs.

These verbs consist of a basic verb + another word or words. The other word(s) can be prepositions and/or adverbs. The two or three words that make up multi-word verbs form a short "phrase" - which is why these verbs are often all called "phrasal verbs".

The important thing to remember is that a multi-word verb is still a verb. "Get" is a verb. "Get up", is also a verb, a different verb. "Get" and "get up" are two different verbs. They do not have the same meaning. So you should treat each multi-word verb as a separate verb, and learn it like any other verb.

Think of them as you would any other English vocabulary. Study them as you come across them, rather than trying to memorize many at once. If you think of each phrasal verb as a separate verb with a specific meaning, you will be able to remember it more easily. Like many other verbs, phrasal verbs often have more than one meaning.

As well as learning their meanings, you need to learn how to use phrasal verbs properly. Some phrasal verbs require a direct object (someone/something), while others do not. Some phrasal verbs can be separated by the object, while others cannot.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser for one of many lists of some examples of phrasal verbs:

http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/phrasal-verbs-list.htm

I hope that helps. :)

to give up     (to surrender; to stop)
    to get rid of  (to throw away)
    to wait up    (to avoid sleeping so you can wait for something)
    to wait for
    to clear up   (to explain; to organize; to become brighter)
    to wash up  (to clean your hands and face)

It's hard to learn which prepositon to use because of phrasal verbs. Phrasal verbs are verbs combined with another word (like a preposition) that creates a special meaning.

You have to memorize these set phrases with their special meaning. Phrasal verbs are common in English so you have plenty of opportunities to use them.  The more you use them the easier it will get. Good luck!