Craig Mansfield
Reply to question on disability. Italki gave me the opportunity to answer the question, then said answer it with less words hehehe so I'm posting the reply here, and linking to it. Interesting topic. I think that our base opinions come from genetics or DNA, primal instincts whatever the source is called. I think we're always subconsciously looking for people who we think would make good mates; help us have healthy offspring. As we shouldn't always be ruled by our primal instincts, allegedly being intelligent beings (pah!), I think we should see the beauty of people in many different forms. I used to be one of the most closed minded people around, but as it happened it was a disabled person who saved my life, and changed me for the better. It takes time and experiences to change thought processes. Sometimes I wonder if some people would be "better off" if they were "let go" (killed), but look at Steven Hawking: one of the greatest minds on the earth. I think it's down to "usual" (not normal, as disability is very "normal" in nature) people to think deeper, and accept that people come in all shapes, sizes and forms. There's a lot of competition in nature, and I think we're "hard-wired" into looking at life and the people around us in a competitive way. I think the non acceptance that disabled people would experience would be upsetting, but I'm not particularly disabled and I feel unaccepted too. I don't know, it's a matter which can be thought about for a long time, in great detail. One thing I'd like to say is that I've seen disabled people who had a great sense of humour, who were fully able to laugh at themselves and used humour to cope with their disabilities; I don't think "disabled people" should even be categorised, I think we should see another person who has a disability, not see "a disabled person". Everyone has SOMETHING wrong with them, my eyes don't work very well, I needed braces on my teeth, I'm allergic to pollen, my nose doesn't work very well........some more personal things that you wouldn't thank me to type (haha)......so I think "a disability" or a developmental flaw is either hidden or clearly visible; but everyone has flaws. Everyone. Ergo, a flawed person is the model of perfection. hehehe
:) thanks haha: I just want Easter eggs :)
Happy Easter to you and Mitsky!
It's life :) what I think is probably not what really is.
"I'm not particularly disabled and I feel unaccepted too. " -> me too! :D
Hiya Jeff by the way, nice to see you again.