邱圆英
How to build Speaking confidence Sometimes although we know the language (not very much but enough) we can’t find the confidence to share it with foreign people.

How to build Speaking confidence

Sometimes although we know the language (not very much but enough) we can’t find the confidence to share  (speak) it with foreign people.

Omg I had a whole long reply typed out but then my computer died.. I guess I'll retype it for you to read! 

I know what you mean. Still, on the streets of Wuhan, I get sweaty palms when I try to use my Mandarin. I've realized language learners in general are very harsh on themselves; why do we expect perfection, when in reality, we are never going to be perfect? Here are a few things you should try to accept in order to over come your confidence issue:

1) you are going to make grammar mistakes (something I like to call "Chinglish") 

2) you are going to forget how to say a word, but don't be afriad to stop your conversation and tell the foreigner you need to look a word up in your dictionary. My go to line in Chinese is this: 給我一分鐘看看我的字典“

3) Accept that native English speakers make mistakes. Accept that a lot of English native speakers actually have a poor command of the language, but they know enough in order to get by. Lots of English native speakers struggle with writing. Sometimes when English is being spoken (to me), I don't always understand 100% of what someone is saying, because I may not familar with the vocabulary and such. So the reality is this: even English native speakers have trouble using the language. 

4) the more you use it, the better you'll get. Try your best and forget the rest. If the guy (or girl) is half a decent human being, they will let you speak and be over with it. I was once told by a Chinese girl that my Chinese was 不是很通, so I moved on and made friends with someone else. 

5) as language learners, we are always critical on ourselves. If you can accept that you are being hard on yourself, then it will aid your confidence I think. 

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any other questions, feel free to pm (private message me)...

And my plams just go too sweaty, so I'm gonna be unconfident and not translate what I wrong above in Chinese =P 

祝好

There is no magic bullet. I think the most important things here is to not be afraid to make mistakes and to practice speaking as much as you can.