The Parable of the Parrot

As I mentioned before I planned to start read a book about how to learn languages. Well, I start to read it and I want to share with you a short story from it that made me smile. :)

The story is useful for those who are shy and embarrassed when they need to talk in that language what they speak less than fluently.

“A man looking for an anniversary present for his wife after fourteen years of marriage found himself in front of a pet shop. In the window was a parrot, not particularly distinguished in size or plumage, but the price tag on that parrot was a whopping seven thousand dollars because that parrot spoke, unbelieveably, fourteen different languages.
That was more than the man intened to spend but he figured, “Fourteen years, fourteen languages!” So he bought it.
He went home, mounted the parrot’s perch in the kitchen, and then realised he’d forgetten the birdseed. He ran back to the pet shop, bought the birdseed, and then ran back home, hoping to have everything in readiness before his wife got home.
Alas, she’d already returned, and when he appeared she flung herself upon him in sizzling affection, shouting, “Darling! What a marvellous anniversary present! You remembered how much I love pheasant. I’ve got him plucked. I’ve got him slit. I’ve got him stuffed. He’s in the oven and he’ll be ready in about fifty minutes.”
“You’ve got him what?” cried he. “You’ve got him where? That was no pheasant,” stormed the husband. “That was a parrot, and that parrot cost seven thousand dollars beacuse that parrot spoke fourteen languages!”
“So,” replied his wife, “why didn’t he say something?”

By the way the book’s title is How to Learn Any Language by Barry Farber, if anyone is interested in it.

OOPT 

The Parable of the Parrot

The story is particularly useful for anyone embarrassed about his or her lack of language proficiency. It helps assuage the fears of the less fluent conversationalists among us.

If anyone is interested the title of the book is How to learn any language, and is authored by Barry Farber. I recommend it whole-heartedly. 

You language was perfect, all I did was give you some examples of more complex terminolgy as I think you can handle it!

10/10!

As I mentioned before I planned to start reading a book about how to learn languages. Well, I start to read it, and I want to share with you a short story from it that made me smile. :)

The story is useful for those who are shy and embarrassed when they want to talk in a language which they speak less than fluently.

By the way, the book’s title is "How to Learn Any Language" by Barry Farber.