Molly-Shanghai
Professional Teacher
Outside the Mountain (my new novel) - introduction III My grandparents told me, one night in 1966, they were just having sweet dreams, and all of a sudden people rushed into their home, woke them up and told them:“China is a socialist country, where everyone is equal, therefore you are not entitled own a bigger house than others, so we will share your house.” Without ceremony, they were chased into the street, only to watch helplessly as those strangers occupied their rooms (10 or so, which encircled a courtyard). After some hours, the family was informed that they’d be allowed to stay in one of the (previously rented) rooms. In the following ten years, until 1976, millions of families suffered the same sort of humiliation that my grandparents did that night – they suddenly lost their properties, their fortunes, and perhaps most important, their self-esteem. The so-called Red Guard would target practically anyone who could be thought of as occupying a higher social position compared with others. Numerous intellectual people were publicly brought low, or even murdered; many committed suicide. I was born in 1974. By the time of my earliest memory, there was no war in China, starvation was almost unknown, and the insanity and cruelty of the Cultural Revolution had come to an end – though only quite recently. Finally, in 1978, China reopened the door to the rest of the world. After that, it became possible to study the English language in middle school, and I could even choose English literature as my major in college! Then after my graduation, I could choose to be a Mandarin teacher to foreigners. My parents could not even dream of such opportunities. I feel this is a job that enables me to meet the real world. So you see, there’s a great deal of truth to what my family tells me – that I’m so lucky to be among the first generation to enjoy such a peaceful and open China. However, I must now add my impression about many of those who were born here, even only a decade later than me – so often I see complacency among them, and failure to appreciate those who lived through the hard times, which afflicted the country ever so recently. They seem to take everything for granted, and leave me wondering why they cannot feel grateful for all the ways China has grown, as much as my generation can. For this reason as well, I do feel my generation is the luckiest one in Chinese history.

Outside the Mountain (my new novel) - introduction III

My grandparents told me that one night in 1966 <em>(haha 1966 at first sight refers to 'told you' as it appears!)</em> they were just having sweet dreams, and all of a sudden people rushed into their home, woke them up and told shouted at <em>(avoiding the two'tolds')</em> them:“China is a socialist country, where everyone is equal, therefore you are not entitled to own a bigger house than others have, <em>(does others refer to people or houses?)</em> so we will share your house.”
Without ceremony, they were chased into the street, only to watch helplessly as those strangers occupied their rooms (10 or so rooms, which encircling a courtyard) <em>(again just clarifying rooms or people)</em>. After some hours, the family was informed that they’d be allowed to stay in one of the (previously rented out/let) rooms  <em>(ah! landlords! lucky to escape alive in fact)</em>.
In the following ten years, until 1976, millions of families suffered the same sort of humiliation that my grandparents did that night – they suddenly lost their properties, their fortunes, and perhaps most important, their self-esteem. The so-called Red Guard would target practically anyone who could be thought of as occupying a higher social position compared with others. Numerous intellectual people were publicly brought low, or even murdered; many committed suicide.
I was born in 1974. By the time of my earliest memory, there was no war in China, starvation was almost unknown, and the insanity and cruelty of the Cultural Revolution had come to an end – though only quite recently. Finally, in 1978, China reopened the door to the rest of the world. After that, it became possible to study the English language in middle school, and I could even choose English literature as my major in college! Then after my graduation, I could choose to be a Mandarin teacher to foreigners. My parents could not even dream of such opportunities. I feel this is a job that enables me to meet the real world.
So you see, there’s a great deal of truth to what my family tells me – that I’m so lucky to be among the first generation to enjoy such a peaceful and open China.
However, I must now add my impression about many of those who were born here, even only a decade later than me – so often I see complacency among them, and failure to appreciate those who lived through the hard times, which afflicted the country ever so very recently. They seem to take everything for granted, and leave me wondering why they cannot feel grateful for all the ways China has grown, as much as my generation can. For this reason as well, I do feel my generation is the luckiest one in Chinese history.