陳晓旋
Passage 7 Dragon, an animal only found in a fairy tales,symbolized evil in English.In English culture,dragon stands for Satan in Bible.However,in Chinese traditional culture,dragon is an animal that can bring people blessedness.Dragon stands for luck,authority and rareness in Chinese.
This is a very good point. I was asked by a Chinese language partner the other day to provide her with a passage in English which she could practice for pronunciation. She has already done the same for me with an ancient Chinese poem. The passage I gave her is one of my favorites and represents the idea of learning to embrace the things in life that are frightening, and the Dragon symbolises this fear. It's a good passage for me to remember if I am having trouble in my life. However it's meaning can only be relevant in western culture because of the reasons you have described in your text, and my friend was a little confused when I suggested it to her. I now am more aware of course and will be certain to keep this in mind whenever I communicate with Chinese people in the future. This is the passage I gave her; “Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love.” Rainer Maria Rilke.
虽然他们都叫做龙,但是只是名字重了而已。看外观可以发现他们完全不是同一个品种。