Willken
A long-distance relationship: A solid reality, or a beautiful dream. With technology advancing so rapidly, many aspects have changed in our lives; for instance, the fact that we can meet several people in a matter of seconds, by any of the many means of communication available. And just a fraction of second is what it takes to meet someone who you, in a manner of speaking, click with. Someone with whom, by the seconds that slowly become minutes, you engage in a deep conversation, which only increases your interest in that fascinating person on the other side of the line. You start finding a never-ending list of things in common, finishing each other's sentences, smiling the way only they can conjure upon you, developing needs that can only be satisfied by them, and you watch how, what started as a vague fixation, grows into something deeper than love itself. Inevitably, little by little, the problems arise to the point their drowning you. When you realize that no matter how far you stretch your hand, you'll never be able to reach them; that even as the desperation consumes you, you'll never be able to press your lips against theirs; that no matter how much you seek for their warmth, you're confined to hold your phone against your chest, and settle with it. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that long-distance relationships are doomed to fail. I'm just stating that they require hard work and commitment. If you're willing to sacrifice all the time that you'll be yearning for the other; if you're okay with having to drop your eyes every time you see your friends with their partners; if you think you can endure all the nights that you'll lie fully awake on your bed, fantasizing about being with your other half... then do it. But if, on the other hand, you both have your hearts settled in the places you live; if you are utterly oblivious of what the future awaits you; if you can't hold the crushing weight of the many challenges that you'll have to face, then don't do it. There's nothing worse than toying with other people's hearts, promising a future together, only to watch their hopes crumble and fall before their eyes. A long-distance relationship can be a solid reality, which once in your significant other's arms, you can have a book-like-love story, or a beautiful dream, from which, rather sooner than later, you're going to have to wake up...
1

A long-distance relationship: A tangible reality, or a beautiful dream?

With technology advancing so rapidly, many aspects of our lives have changed; for instance, the fact that we can meet several people in a matter of seconds, by any of the many means of communication available. Just a fraction of second is what it takes to meet someone who you, in a manner of speaking, click with. Someone with whom, seconds slowly become minutes, you engage in a deep conversation, which only increases your interest in that fascinating person on the other side of the line.

You start finding a never-ending list of things in common, finishing each others' sentences, smiling in a way that can only be brought on by them and developing needs that can only be satisfied by them. You watch how, what started out as a minor obsession, grows into something deeper than love itself.

Inevitably, little by little, the problems grow to the point where they over-whelm you. When you realize that no matter how far you stretch your hand, you'll never be able to reach them; that even as the desperation consumes you, you'll never be able to press your lips against theirs; that no matter how much you seek their warmth, you're confined to hold your phone against your chest, and just accept it.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that long-distance relationships are doomed to fail. I'm just stating that they require hard work and commitment. If you're willing to sacrifice all the time that you'll be yearning for on another; if you're okay with having to drop your eyes every time you see your friends with their partners; if you think you can endure all the nights that you'll lie fully awake on your bed, fantasizing about being with your other half... then do it.

But if, on the other hand, you both have your hearts settled in the places you live; if you are utterly oblivious to what the future holds for you; if you can't hold the crushing weight of the many challenges that you'll have to face, then don't do it. There's nothing worse than toying with other people's hearts, promising a future together, only to watch their hopes crumble and fall before their eyes.

A long-distance relationship can be a tangible reality, once in your significant other's arms, you can have a fairytale love story, or a beautiful dream, which, sooner rather than later, you're going to have to wake up from...