sweetie_cutie
2 TOEFL IBT writing test Below is an essay on dinosaurs that I had to write for TOEFL iBT writing section. Please have a look and see if there are any grammar mistakes. Task: Summarize the points made in the lecture, being sure to explain how they challenge the specific points made in the reading passage. The lecture is about how many of the scientists believe that the points stated in the passage are not enough to prove that the dinosaurs are endotherms. First of all, regarding the point about polar regions, the professor states that polar regions were much warmer than today back then. The dinosaurs therefore could have lived there in the warm periods without being endotherms, and when the climate became cold, they could have migrated or hibernated. This clearly contradicts the passage which states that the fact that dinosaur fossils have been discovered in polar regions prove that dinosaurs were able to survive in very cold climates and therefore are endotherms. Next, the professor talks about how the explanation for dinosaurs having their legs under their body can be attributed to another reliable factor; their legs are positioned underneath their body, not because of allowing sustained physical activity as is stated in the passage, but because they grow to a very large size. The positioning of the legs may have evolved to support the great body weight of many dinosaurs. Finally, the professor explains that the growth rings, which is a thickening of the bone that indicates periods of slow growth alternating with periods of fast growth, are characteristics of non-endotherms, and the dinosaurs have this. It is true that they have Haversian canals, which allow the animals to grow rapidly, and it is a characteristic of endotherms, but there is also an evidence of not being endotherms in their bone structure. In conclusion, in contrast to the passage, it can be summarized from the lecture that the dinosaurs are not endotherms. Thank you for your cooperation!