Lynnand
The American Dream of Death of a Salesman The American dream has been an enduring theme in American literature. There are different embodiments in different literature. With the change of time, the theme of the American dream also presents different tendency, namely the realization of the American dream, the distortion of the American dream, the collapse of the American dream and the deconstruction of American dream. Through creating the Death of a Salesman, Miller expressed his understanding of the American dream. Up to time now, the most deadly social contradiction showed in the play also remains in the United States. In the Death of a Salesman, the author’s thinking about the American dream, about human eternal pursuit such like human nature, morality, ideology and responsibility; those still worth thinking deeply and reflection for human. From the perspective of American literature, by Willy Loman’s disillusionment of the American dream, the burst of hopes for his sons, his suicide, and his tragic effect on the family, illustrates the suicide of his tragedy is a thought-provoking social tragedy, which sings a deep elegy for the American dream.(