akatuy
A Challenge For Italki Members Who Are Studying Japanese. #1 The following paragraph is a quote from an entrance-exam to an university in Japan. The applicants are supposed to translate it into correct / natural sounding English without sacrificing the meanings and nuances of the original Japanese sentences. Could you, as an English literate, try to do that for us? As English learners, we want to learn English by reading various compositions and comparing them to the original Japanese text. Note that these Japanese sentences are not as easy to comprehend as they may ostensibly appear. == 時間を正確に守らないのは、忙しすぎる人と、暇すぎる人に多いようである。 前者は、他人は自分ほど忙しくないだろうから、少しぐらい待ってもらっても許されるだろうと考え、後者は他人にも暇な時間がどっさりあると考えている。 どちらも自己中心の考え方であることはいうまでもない。 ==
3

時間を正確に守らないのは、忙しすぎる人と、暇すぎる人に多いようである。 前者は、他人は自分ほど忙しくないだろうから、少しぐらい待ってもらっても許されるだろうと考え、後者は他人にも暇な時間がどっさりあると考えている。 どちらも自己中心の考え方であることはいうまでもない。

==

Akatuyさん、お久しぶりです。

面白いチャレンジなので、ついやってみたいと思います。次の訳文ならいかが思いますか?

There are two types of individuals who often fail to punctual: those who are too busy, and those who have too much free time on their hands. The former group of people often think that others are likely not as busy as they are themselves, so they consider it permissible to let others wait a little. The latter group of individuals think that others have as much free time as they do. It goes without saying that both types of individuals are self-centered in their way of thinking.

3

==

==

My Japanese is still poor, but I spent some time studying the Japanese text with reference materials. Let’s hope that my translation holds some merit, because it is possible that it does not. The translation follows:

It seems that both people who are overly busy, as well as those who are too free, have a lot of trouble keeping to schedule correctly. I think that for the former group this is more acceptable even if one is made to wait a bit, because others are generally less busy than themselves, and it stands to reason that there is plenty of spare time for the latter group. It can not be overemphasized that both these points of view are self-centered ways of thinking.

2

時間を正確に守らないのは、忙しすぎる人と、暇すぎる人に多いようである。

It seems like there are a lot of people who are either too busy or who have too much spare time (on their hands) that aren't / cannot be punctual.

Note 1. In my English translation, I worded it as "there are a lot of people who are either too buy or who have too much spare time" rather than word for word as "there are a lot of people who are too busy and a lot of people who have a lot of time." as it is stated in the Japanese text.I am going to take these liberties in my translation since it makes the English sentence sound more natural. 2. It sounds a little more natural to say "cannot be punctual" here in English instead of "aren't punctual".

前者は、他人は自分ほど忙いだろうから、少しぐらい待ってもらっても許されるだろうと考え、後者は他人にも暇な時間がどっさりあると考えている。

Because the other person isn't as busy as they are, the former thinks that it is probably allowable/acceptable even if they have/make the other person wait a little bit; the latter assumes/thinks the other person also has a ton/lot of free time.

Note: 1. I know that ~てもらう is typically translated into English as "to get or have someone to do something" but it is said more naturally in English with the word "to make" instead of "to get / have" because it is seen as a major inconvenience to someone. To make someone would really be written in Japanese as 待たせる though, right? 2. "Assumes" would be a more natural word to use here in English instead of "thinks". 3. I also moved the reason busy people think it is acceptable to the front of the sentence because it sounds more natural that way.

どちらも自己中心の考え方であることはいうまでもない。

It goes without saying that both are selfish/self-centered ways of thinking.

The entire paragraph in English as I understand it (with more natural words substituted in):

It seems like there are a lot of people who are either too busy or who have too much spare time on their hands that cannot be punctual. Because the other person isn't as busy as they are, the former thinks that it is probably acceptable even if they make the other person wait a little bit; the latter assumes the other person also has a ton of free time. It goes without saying that both are self-centered ways of thinking.

これは直近の試験からの引用ではありません。 約30年前の試験問題です。
コメントありがとう。 日本人の翻訳した間違いの多いものを添削していただくと、原文と乖離した英文となるので、日本語のできる英語nativeの方の翻訳が知りたいのです。