Dashulja
Academic Writing. Totlitarian Past. Stylistic problems and problems with cohesion and coherence. Perception of the Totalitarian Past amongst modern senior pupils in Russian Federation and Germany. In the history of the both countries – Germany and Russia – there is (exists) a period of the totalitarian regime. However, the authorities’ and societies’ attitudes towards totalitarian past in each case vary. With the course of time the German government acknowledged (admitted) the mistakes conducted by their predecessors, while in Russia the questions concerning the experience of totalitarian past,had not received a strong response from the public and,consequently,to this day remain open. Totalitarianism is an important phenomenon both for the Past of our countries,and for the Present,because the Past often has the ability to influence the Present,to determine the peculiarities of the modern political development.Besides(in addition to, apart from) a common understanding of the phenomenon of totalitarianism,it is very important to investigate(examine,analyze) a particular(concrete) manifestations(simples) of how today's (current) citizens of the former totalitarian countries perceive (think) to this chapter in history of their Motherland. Global conclusions are impossible without carrying out specific (concrete) studies.This paper reflects(contains) the results of the detailed pilot research (study), and is an attempt to develop a broad understanding of the issues concerning the situation, whether a vast range of measures within the “Struggle to come to terms with the past” policy helped Germany “to overcome” the totalitarian Past and if in the modern Russia there are problems with the perception of the totalitarian heritage(past). In our research we consider the problem of the totalitarian past perception referring to two groups of young people:Russian and German humanitarian Gymnasien pupils of senior classes.In Russia there is no significant difference between school types in order to(regarding)the future prospects in education.In Germany,otherwise,the difference between school types is very important:only the pupils from Gymnasien have an opportunity of direct admission to the University.In this research we are examining German and Russian humanitarian Gymnasien,because it is assumed that pupils from this school type are better informed(versed)in the matters of history and world politics and represent,in a certain sense,the perfect product of political socialization of youth in Germany and Russia and thus are the most relevant respondents.
2

Here are a few style suggestions:

Perception of the Totalitarian Past amongst modern senior pupils in the Russian Federation and Germany.

In the histories of the both countries – Germany and Russia – there exists a period of the totalitarian regime. However, in each case the authorities’ and societies’ attitudes towards the totalitarian past vary. With the passage of time / Over the course of time, the German government acknowledged the mistakes of their predecessors [possibly, acknowledged the mistakes in the conduct of...], while in Russia [however, in Russia,] questions concerning the experience of the totalitarian past did not receive a strong public response [possibly, did not enter public consciousness as strongly] and, consequently, to this day remain open.

Totalitarianism is an important phenomenon both for the past of our countries, and for the present, because the past often has the ability to influence the present; to determine the peculiarities of the modern political development. In addition to a common understanding of the phenomenon of totalitarianism, it is very important to analyze the concrete, modern manifestations of perceptions, among citizens of formerly totalitarian countries, of this chapter in the history of their Motherland. 

Global conclusions are impossible without carrying out concrete [perhaps, empirical] studies. This paper reflects the results of a detailed pilot study, and is an attempt to develop a broad understanding of the issues concerning the question of whether the vast range of measures, comprising the policy of “the struggle to come to terms with the past,” helped Germany to "overcome” its totalitarian heritage, and whether there are problems in modern Russia with the perception of the totalitarian past.

In our research we consider the problem of perceptions of the totalitarian past in reference to two groups of young people: Russian and German pupils of the senior classes of Humanitarian Gymnasia. In Russia there is no significant difference between school types with regard to the future prospects in education. In Germany, however / conversely, the difference between school types is very important: only the pupils from Gymnasia have any opportunity of direct admission to University. In this research we are examining German and Russian humanitarian Gymnasia, because it is assumed that pupils from this school type are better informed(versed)in the matters of history and world politics and represent, in a certain sense, the perfect product of political socialization of youth in Germany and Russia and thus are the most relevant respondents.

English is my second foreign language, so that's why I'm not pretty confident of my "masterpiece". The main difficulties, from my point of view, are concernig cohesion,coherence and stylistic problems. Please, help me to improve my writing-skills. I will really appreciate your help! :) Best regards from Saint Petersburg, Daria
Gymnasium (informantion from Wikipedia): A gymnasium (pronounced with a [hard g] in several languages) is a type of school with a strong emphasis on academic learning, and providing advanced secondary education in some parts of Europe and the CIS, comparable to British grammar schools, sixth form colleges and U.S. preparatory high schools. In its current meaning, it usually refers to secondary schools focused on preparing students to enter a university for advanced academic study.