akatuy
A Challenge For Italki Members Who Are Studying Japanese. #2 The following paragraph is a quote from an entrance-exam to an university in Japan. The applicants are supposed to translate it into correct / natural sounding English without sacrificing the meanings and nuances of the original Japanese sentences. Could you, as an English literate, try to do that for us? As English learners, we want to learn English by reading various compositions and comparing them to the original Japanese text. Note that these Japanese sentences are not as easy to comprehend as they may ostensibly appear. == 日本の庭は、むかしからよくいわれるように、みる庭であって、そこで運動をしたり休息したりするような、なにかの行為をする庭ではなかったのである。 戦前にそだった人たちは、子供のころに、母親から「お庭で遊んではいけません」といってしかられた記憶をたいていもっているだろう。 ==
2

A Challenge For Italki Members Who Are Studying Japanese. #2

I don't know Japanese. Google translate did not do a good job as I cannot understand it.  With the help of a Japanese friend, I finally can understand and translate.

The following paragraph is a paragraph quote from for an entrance-exam to an university in Japan. The applicants Students are supposed to translate it into correct / natural sounding standard English without sacrificing the meanings and nuances of the original Japanese sentences.

The way you express is considered rude even though I know what you are trying to say.  Choice words are extremely important.

Could you, As an English native speaker learning Japanese, can you please translate it for literate, try to do that for us? This way, as English learners, we want to learn English can better understand by reading the various compositions translations and comparing them to the original Japanese text.

Please note that these Japanese sentences are more complicated than usual. not as easy to comprehend as they may ostensibly appear.

日本の庭は、むかしからよくいわれるように、みる庭であって、そこで運動をしたり休息したりするような、なにかの行為をする庭ではなかったのである。 戦前にそだった人たちは、子供のころに、母親から「お庭で遊んではいけません」といってしかられた記憶をたいていもっているだろう。

It is often said since ancient times, Japanese gardens are places to be viewed and admired.  It is not a place for exercise or rest. The garden is no place for such activities.  For those who grew up in the pre-War days, would remember their childhood days that they were scolded by their mothers, "Don't play in the garden!"

Google translation!

As is often said since ancient times, it is a garden to see, Japanese garden is was not a garden, such as or to rest where you can exercise, an act of something. People who grew up before the war, will have the most memories as a child, was scolded and say, "Do not be playing in the garden" from the mother.

2

==

As it has often been recounted since ages of yore, Japanese gardens are meant to be viewed and admired. They are not meant to be gardens for exercise, rest, or any type of activity. Those who were (born and) raised before the Second World War would probably have childhood memories of being chided by their mothers, "there is no playing in the garden!"