Jerard
Kumusta Magandang gabi. Ako si Jerard. Gusto kong matutong Tagalog para ma turuan ko ang mga anak ko at para maiintindihan ko and mga kaibigan at pamiliya ko. Sige na
Jun 27, 2014 4:38 AM
1

The corrections made by Vincent are OK, though for me the second "ang" (before "pamilya") is optional.  The spelling is "pamilya", i.e., no "i" between "l" and "y".

To end your entry with "Sige na" is rather awkward.  "Sige na" means a couple of things:

1.  It can mean, "come on, please".  You may say it after one said "no" to your request.

Ex:

Guy: Pwede ba kitang mahalikan?  (May I kiss you?)

Girl:  No

Guy: (said in a pleading tone) Sige na...  (Come on, please...)

The guy may keep on repeating it as the girl keeps saying "no" or till she slaps him or calls 911 or sues him for harrassment.  :-)

2. It can mean, "OK, go ahead"

Ex: A child wanted to open his Christmas gifts at the stroke of midnight on Christmas eve.

11:00 pm

- Boy: Mom, pwede ko na bang buksan ang mga regalo ko? (Mom, may I open my gifts now?)

- Mom:  Hindi pa.  (Not yet)

11:59 pm

- Boy: Mom, pwede na (ba)?  (Mom, may I now?)

- Mom: Hindi pa.

12:00 midnight

- Mom: Sige na (OK, go ahead) or Pwede na (Now you may.)

3.  To say goodbye, but said plainly, it comes across as dismissive.  For example, suppose that you are on your way to an appointement, but along the way you meet a friend who engages you in conversation.  When you see no clear indication that your conversation will be ending soon and you really must go, you may say "sige na" to clearly mean that you wanted your conversation to end.  So as not to sound rude though, you may inform your friend of your reason for having to go right away.  You may also say it to end a long telephone conversation with someone you know well enough.  However, it is not something you normally say to end a letter.  If you are writing a letter to a friend and you have already written one page too many, writing "sige na" would be an amusing or humorous way to introduce your intention to end it.  Notice that I said "introduce your intention" because you still need to end your letter cordially or properly.        

1

Kumusta

Magandang gabi. Ako si Jerard. Gusto kong matuto ng Tagalog para maturuan ko ang mga anak ko at para maiintindihan ko ang mga kaibigan at ang pamiliya ko.

Sige na